slow workers

manco

I remember watching some docu about fisher folk in malaysia living on a floating village or some such thing. All the very young kids were so agile and assured climbing about like gymnasts  and working at various manual tasks.

In the  UK I have  noticed many  kids are  so un coordinated they can hardly catch a softly thrown  tennis ball etc.

Thinking that the huge contrast in early enviroment must make some difference to  a childs future developement skills etc.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, Mull said:

Hard Times Create Strong Men, Strong Men Create Good Times, Good Times Create Weak Men, Weak Men Create Hard Times

…and women too I guess! We are a generation of weak men. Sitting at home or wherever on our gadgets trying to outsmart each otheremoji3.png quite sad really.

Bumper sticker philosophy. 

Edited by Mick Dempsey

2 hours ago, Stere said:

I remember watching some docu about fisher folk in malaysia living on a floating village or some such thing. All the very young kids were so agile and assured climbing about like gymnasts  and working at various manual tasks.

In the  UK I have  noticed many  kids are  so un coordinated they can hardly catch a softly thrown  tennis ball etc.

Thinking that the huge contrast in early enviroment must make some difference to  a childs future developement skills etc.

Nailed it. This is the core of our maliase: not enough physicality.

Men, especially, are made for physical work. We can be intellectual geniuses as well, but the majority are built for hard word. And this should start from an early age and be a aspirational.

Healthy competition at work should be encouraged in the young. This involves a bit of diffuse societal shaming of boys who are lazy or weak. This is ok.

By building a physically comfortable and "safe" society, men have been neutered. They've grown up in a feminized culture, so when they have the opportunity to experience one of the few manly spheres of work (arb) they don't know how to appreciate it and cannot enjoy it.

The image of Conan pushing the "wheel of pain" springs to mind. What we missed in the movie is the WOP is not an instrument of torture, but a simple mill-wheel, an essential part of civilisation.

Hard Times Create Strong Men, Strong Men Create Good Times, Good Times Create Weak Men, Weak Men Create Hard Times

…and women too I guess! We are a generation of weak men. Sitting at home or wherever on our gadgets trying to outsmart each other[emoji3] quite sad really.

Bumper sticker philosophy. 

Yup.

You’ve sat on your gadget and outsmarted me.
Not difficult.

It does a bit, some of it from me (I’m sure I shook it enough before putting it back in but the damp circle on my trousers doesn’t lie)

It’s one of the pleasures of getting older to moan about the lack of fortitude of todays youth.

Its been going on for thousands of years, we had to listen to it decades ago, and there’s more than a good chance you might do it long after us oldies have shuffled off.

• Like 4

22 hours ago, difflock said:

A whole lot of truth in that statement Mull,

Or "spare the rod and spoil the child" as I imagine the Victorians expressed it. 

They were perhaps corrector than they knew!

Corrector , Sorta more right ?