Bumper fruit crop on the way this year?

scbk

I wonder what it's like in other parts of the country? Last year was a bad one for the apples especially, think we had a bad late frost. I'm sure we had snow in April/May?

This year is looking like it is going to be a bumper fruit harvest; apples/plums/currants/berries all looking good. Some of the trees were only planted last year, and the year before, so this is the first time fruiting for some.

Sorry all the photos look much and such the same, they are different trees and varieties though!

:bandit:

P1070827x.jpg

P1070831x.jpg

P1070833x.jpg

P1070834x.jpg

P1070843x.jpg

P1070846x.jpg

P1070847x.jpg

P1070851x.jpg

P1070861x.jpg

P1070866x.jpg

P1070869x.jpg

Edited by scbk
  • Like 5

We have apples like yours, apricots, raspberries, strawberries, no figs though, gooseberries have not checked the Walnuts yet.

Everything looks very green, and all the trees seemed to have done well, a bit of Ash dieback but not a lot.  Crops on the farm look good but being a farmer I know not to count chickens before they are hatched and there's many a slip twixt cup and lip.

As for the greenery I blame CO2, plants like it.

• Like 1

Got figs coming through, plenty of damsons, Victoria plums, morello cherries, Bramleys and eaters (don’t know the variety but delicious), red currants which will be netted in the next two days to keep the birds off.

must make time to do jams, chutneys, pies etc and freeze the surplus as the food price increases will start to hurt as the year goes on. 

• Like 2

I've got a single twisted and gnarled plum that, somehow, survived the frost that killed every single one of the others on my little patio tree by hiding in a dense clump of leaves, but my three established apples seem fairly fruitful. 

19 minutes ago, peds said:

I've got a single twisted and gnarled plum that, somehow, survived the frost that killed every single one of the others on my little patio tree by hiding in a dense clump of leaves, but my three established apples seem fairly fruitful. 

Well you'll not starve then.. luckily the Bullfinches missed 1 bud on my apple trees but it'll need to grow a feckin big apple if I'm going get a pie😁

• Haha 1

June drop hasn't happened yet and there are quite a few of those apples going to fall off in the next few weeks. I'm sure there will be plenty left though.

Last year was a bumper apple crop for me, probably the best I will ever get. This year isn't bumper and some have hardly fruited as they didn't flower much. Some are laden, my Discovery look exceptional so far.

5 hours ago, Peasgood said:

June drop hasn't happened yet and there are quite a few of those apples going to fall off in the next few weeks. I'm sure there will be plenty left though.

Last year was a bumper apple crop for me, probably the best I will ever get. This year isn't bumper and some have hardly fruited as they didn't flower much. Some are laden, my Discovery look exceptional so far.

My 1 apple is Discovery.. it's about the size of a grape, so exceptionally small so far😅