Which tracked MEWP to choose

maybelateron

Apologies if this has been covered before, but I don't recall it.

I have for many years used my old 1996 Aerial K16T, trailer mounted MEWP which is well maintained, no modern electronics to speak of. I have been very happy with it, but I am considering replacing it now, but it has to be better. It must be tracked, so I have better access to awkward sites. It must have a working height of 16m or more, and outreach must be 6.5m or more. It must be light enough that I can tow it on a trailer with my 3.5 ton towing capacity. Some of the machines within this spec will just fit onto my Ifor GX126 plant trailer, but if I need to invest in a longer trailer so be it. I have found the fly jib invaluable for dropping down into a crown, so it must have a fly jib. I guess straight sticks are ok for dismantled, but no so good for some pruning jobs. I am happy to invest in a new one, or a goos condition used one. Not sure about lithium ion ones, have used a hired one once. Prefer dual power, so early morning in residential area can be quite, then start the engine a bit later. There is an Oil and Steel 1765 on ebay at present - any experience of that make to pass on?

We hired in a couple of Hinowas last year to help with removing some large spruce trees in our garden.  I think they were around 17.7 and one around 20m.  Both could (just) be towed legally behind our l/r on a 16' flat bed Ifor.  I did move the smaller unit a couple of times on our 12' Ifor but the 16' was a much better fit and 'looked right'.

I was much heavier then than I am now (over 120kg) but it would still take me and a couple of saws.

There is quite a bit of whip in both machines but both worked well and they seem popular with hire fleets which might say something.  The 20m unit was much better for our needs, but we did find it more challenging to track across rough ground as it was more top-heavy (the extra reach comes from adding another boom within the top section - the external folded dimensions are very similar.

Tracking them on and off the trailer was challenging until we reversed up against a slight slope and then used the 8' ramps.  A beaver tail trailer would probably be better.

Not sure if dual fuels are available as ours were powered by dinosaur droppings, but there seemed to be an option for electric power too.  I have previously hired a smaller (14m?) dual fuel and found the electric charging to be a bit of a PITA to be honest.

I'd suggest that for the investment involved you hire one first to see if it suits you.

Edited by waterbuoy
typo
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

Do you do a lot of MEWP work Joe? Worth getting one you reckon?

I get mewp work fairly regularly,  I'm working alongside them as often as I'm working from them.

Depends how much pruning work you do really. If your work is mainly removals I find mewps can get in the way.

I'd have one in a heartbeat though. The one I mentioned if the best one I've worked with. 

• Thanks 1

My nephew uses one  a fair bit with one of the firms he works for.

Does speed work up a bit (a lot) but you have to approach the job differently he says. You can prepare the stuff for the chipper up there, strip it out ready for chipping when it hits the ground.

I’m mulling over getting one, lot of moolah, but they hold their value so when I fold the biz I’ll get some back.

• Like 3

32 minutes ago, Mick Dempsey said:

My nephew uses one  a fair bit with one of the firms he works for.

Does speed work up a bit (a lot) but you have to approach the job differently he says. You can prepare the stuff for the chipper up there, strip it out ready for chipping when it hits the ground.

I’m mulling over getting one, lot of moolah, but they hold their value so when I fold the biz I’ll get some back.

Pruning work is a lot quicker, especially if you can do multiple trees from one setup. You don't have to cut for the chipper. The only issue is that sometimes you'll end up setting up the mewp in your drop zone if space is limited. 

• Like 1

Danny Mac is as good a climber as I’ve worked with, and we pissed that ancient oak repollard the other week with a 21m tracked MEWP with a good owner/operator/tree guy.

2 day tree climbing.

Like Joe says though, sometimes you’re just putting something very expensive in the drop zone.

Not the be all and end all, but certainly a very, very useful tool on the right job.

We are currently looking at cheapo introductory machines like towable Niftys.

A lot of fuckonery on our jobs seems to be on lower limbs and BT lines.

When you get to my age chogging stems from a basket is also a dream.

Like you said earlier Mick, just a case of working differently sometimes.

• Like 1