which smokeless coal is best

19 hours ago, neiln said:

I wouldn't burn it along with wood, burn one or the other.  Wood burns to give steam, smokeless has some sulphur in it and burns to sulphur dioxide. Steam and sulphur dioxide make a strong acid and it attacks your flue liner.

My understanding is that good quality anthracite has a much lower sulphur content than most other coals, whereas many of the manufactured coals use pet coke which has a much higher sulphur content.

That's another reason why I stick with the anthracite, or if using any of the manufactured coals I always look for one with no coke.

The cooker (with boiler) which I burn it in is about 35yr old, with the iron bend joining it to the chimney the same age, so the theory seems to be working OK.

Edited by coppice cutter
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, neiln said:

I wouldn't burn it along with wood, burn one or the other.  Wood burns to give steam, smokeless has some sulphur in it and burns to sulphur dioxide. Steam and sulphur dioxide make a strong acid and it attacks your flue liner.

Oh, and I forgot to say the main reason for using the anthracite is to put a bit of a bottom in the fire and keep the wood burning better. I find that burning wood only over a multi-fuel grate is never as good as the fire never gets a decent bottom in it to keep it going, which is presumably why bespoke wood-burners like our two Burleys don't have a grate.

A wee shake of anthracite, usually less than half a shovel, keeps the grate covered and the wood burns better as a result.

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

I've used superheat from housefuels. I went half's on a pallet with my neighbor a few years back. Still have 3 bags on the garage lol.

I just use it to keep it in at night when it's really cold outside. 

My Mrs will be at home more this winter with baby so think it'll be easier for her to use smokeless than logs all the time. I like logs as I get them free. 

Has anyone tried burnrite? They claim to kick out more heat and less ash...

Years back I had a Parkray hopper fed stove that burnt anthracite beans . This did the hot water and the rads and was very efficient . . Once I got into tree work I changed it for an open fire and pretty soon a log burner as I got wood free as it were but the anthracite was good .

1 hour ago, coppice cutter said:

Stovemaster Housefuel,

"comprise anthracite (as to approximately 60 to 85% of the total weight), petroleum coke (up to approximately 30% of the total weight), bituminous coal (up to approximately 15% of the total weight) and a molasses and phosphoric acid binder (as to the remaining weight)"

Where did you get this info from? 

I was hopping to find one with less petcoke and phosphorus in it

On 13/06/2022 at 13:53, coppice cutter said:

Oh, and I forgot to say the main reason for using the anthracite is to put a bit of a bottom in the fire and keep the wood burning better. I find that burning wood only over a multi-fuel grate is never as good as the fire never gets a decent bottom in it to keep it going, which is presumably why bespoke wood-burners like our two Burleys don't have a grate.

A wee shake of anthracite, usually less than half a shovel, keeps the grate covered and the wood burns better as a result.

TBH , I see posts like this here and more so on the FB groups and I think to myself what the effin hell are they on about with all this burning solid fuel to make the wood burn better.

Either the wood is wrong or the stove isnt being used as it should for burning wood cos Ive never had a problem burning seasoned wood in over 50years of wood stoves

• Like 2