Red Band Needle Blight arisings

Treerover

Thank you to everyone who recently helped and diagnosed my customers Scots Pine deaths.

We are now tasked with removing the dead and dying blocks in the wood which we plan to burn, but we will need to chip the other shelterbelt that is adjacent to the road .

My question is, what is the thinking about chipping to waste where you have a fungal pathogen present ?

A total no no or a potential option ?

Thank you in advance and well done Stubby for your lead and diagnosis

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Treerover said:

Thank you to everyone who recently helped and diagnosed my customers Scots Pine deaths.

We are now tasked with removing the dead and dying blocks in the wood which we plan to burn, but we will need to chip the other shelterbelt that is adjacent to the road .

My question is, what is the thinking about chipping to waste where you have a fungal pathogen present ?

A total no no or a potential option ?

Thank you in advance and well done Stubby for your lead and diagnosis

I hadn't expected scots pine to be susceptible but saw lots of it on corsican ten years ago north of Penrith.

Also lots of long dead lodgepole on Skye last week.

We have extensive scots pine natural regeneration here in SE and no signs I have noticed yet, which area are you?

I hadn't expected scots pine to be susceptible but saw lots of it on corsican ten years ago north of Penrith.

Also lots of long dead lodgepole on Skye last week.

We have extensive scots pine natural regeneration here in SE and no signs I have noticed yet, which area are you?

Warwickshire. Seeing dead Scots everywhere . Usually 20-50 year old specimens .
I have them locally in a stand in the village and then 4 miles away have taken half a dozen out in a garden and now these older and larger ones 10 miles away .
We’re losing trees left right and centre of all species aren’t we [emoji853]
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Treerover said:

We’re losing trees left right and centre of all species aren’t we emoji853.png

We're certainly losing species to new diseases, a mixture of climate change and global trade but other species seem to be doing well, I hesitate to mention ivy but how about bracken, it seems to be spreading quite well into our heathlands.

Rhododendron is doing brilliantly over here, not sure it's a worthy replacement for the oak and ash woodland it's destroying, but never mind.

Is this red band needle blight the thing that is destroying absolutely huge numbers of various conifers over here on the west coast of Ireland? And are things, once they've got it bad enough, generally screwed? Huge amounts of damage over here.

Edited by peds