Silver Birch dry leafs

minskiy

Morning All

Few months back we have planted a silver birch tree in a memory of our dog which has passed away last year. Initially it was growing very well and developed lovely green leafs all over but approximately six weeks ago i have noticed that the leafs has stopped growing

Yesterday when i was passing by i saw that the majority of the leafs has dried out and turned brown. Very keen to save the tree and also to find out what caused it so would really appreciate your advise on what can be done now and in the future? 

Some photos taken today are below, thanks in advance

20220607_081310.jpg

20220607_081335.jpg

If you are watering it, how much are you putting on? If you dig down a few inches (not too near the tree) is the soil damp?

It's got to be a good soaking to get down to the roots, maybe scoop a bit of a hole and pour several buckets full there - people are often surprised by how much water is needed.

It's not what you want to hear but it needs watering really to get through the first summer. This is the most difficult time for it because the heat increases, rain decreases, and roots are not well established. Can you get there with a caravan water roll type thing? A good soaking once a month would be better than nothing.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, minskiy said:

Thanks a lot for your advise, sounds like i need to find a way!

Would watering every two weeks (over and above normal raining) be sufficient?

A really good soak every two weeks would be much better than a little bit of water every day, you'd be helping a lot and especially with a good layer of mulch to help it soak in rather than evaporate. I guess fingers crossed and keep and eye on the tree.

• 11 months later...

Good morning All

Nearly a year passed and the tree have the new leaves coming up but it looks like only on the same branches which didn't loose the leaves last year. Not sure what to do as it doesn't look too healthy - should i just leave it as it is hoping that next year it will be better or there is something i can do?

To clarify - out of approximately 40 small branches only 10 has leaves and the leaves look a bit yellowish and not bright green as it suppose to be. Surely this is not down to the lack of water this year (as it was raining almost every day) but assume it is connected to the last years issue