living off the grid..ish

RickandMorty

24 minutes ago, Retired Climber said:

Nice space. How much land do you have there? 

Not much, it's about 20m by 30m, and appearances can be deceiving, it's an utter hole. We are renting from a wing of the wife's family whilst we build our own home, and this small patch of land was a rubbish heap for decades. Old tractor parts, silage plastic, baling twine, broken glass, remains of burnt bags of household waste, you name it, we've got it. I've done what I can with the place, but it's disgusting out there.
Hopefully we'll be moved out by Christmas, and I can start properly, on around 1.2 acres, of much better land. Established woodland, stream coming off the mountain, 150m laneway from the road... and no bloody shreds of plastic coming out of the ground.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, peds said:

Not much, it's about 20m by 30m, and appearances can be deceiving, it's an utter hole. We are renting from a wing of the wife's family whilst we build our own home, and this small patch of land was a rubbish heap for decades. Old tractor parts, silage plastic, baling twine, broken glass, remains of burnt bags of household waste, you name it, we've got it. I've done what I can with the place, but it's disgusting out there.
Hopefully we'll be moved out by Christmas, and I can start properly, on around 1.2 acres, of much better land. Established woodland, stream coming off the mountain, 150m laneway from the road... and no bloody shreds of plastic coming out of the ground.

I'm not a fan of the broken glass or plastic but usually my favourite part of any garden is the bit that's hidden away and used for very utilitarian purposes. You can keep your finely manicured lawns, show me the best place to have a bonfire. Your next step sounds perfect; I'm jealous. Where is the world are you? 

West coast of Ireland, we've been sitting on the site for a couple of years now, but we were finally approved for a mortgage a few days ago, so hopefully this summer will be a busy one.

Congratulations. If you started a thread on here documenting it from day one, I’d be very interested to follow along.

This isn't the 13th century, you don't have to prepare a tithe for the local Bishop, you don't have to yoke your oxen for an exciting afternoon of furrow and ploughshare.
Your soil, and especially the perennials in this instance you intend to drop into it, would thank you if you stop tearing it apart. There's a case to be made for breaking the ground open for something like carrots or parsnips (although that's a fairly weak case and all) but strawberries or raspberries won't thank you for the extra labour, and soil is healthier and more productive the less you dick about with its structure. Leave it alone, and it will uncompact itself.

No weeds, you say? I wonder how long that will continue once you've dredged a few decades of the seedbank up to the surface for germination. Enjoy your new pets!

If you are just after some pointless busy work to keep idle hands from becoming the Devil's plaything, go ahead, play with your wee rotobater, but that is time you could spend doing a thousand other more useful things.

I’ll break the soil up regardless of your views on this.

There is currently no weeds, I fully expect weeds to grow now that I’m no longer milling there. [emoji849] I know how to mitigate this thank you very much.

I really don’t care for your fascination with how I plan on planting Strawberries but by all means continue with expressing your weird sexual fantasies you’ve conjured up involving myself. It’s certainly a window into your warped mindset.

• Haha 1

Guest Gimlet
2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

...by all means continue with expressing your weird sexual fantasies you’ve conjured up involving myself. It’s certainly a window into your warped mindset.

:confused13: :hmmmm2:

Edited by Gimlet