looking for firewood/burning wood

RickandMorty

Hello

I am looking for: (either and/or)

Soft wood (for firewood)

Hard wood (for firewood)

Wood chippings (clean,  for mulching, garden stuff)

1. Delivery is best , i am home most days. 

2  Happy to collect locally, if lots of wood I would have to rent a van which means a few days notice 

I am based in hoddesdon.

Thanks

Adam

Arn't we all

There is a 'Tip Sites' section above where you can put your details. Often local tree surgeons will have arrangements for their wood but anyone outside the area working near you might take a look and give you a shout. Some people get a lot, some not a lot.

Then just be nosey, walk about your area, I run for fun and can cover more ground but from being out and about I know where 3 or 4 local tree surgeons have their tips - walking is good since they are often out of sight of the road, and you can often smell the fresh timber as you walk - find one and give them a call, all they can do is say no. Mine says no saws on his site, take what I need, getting a very nice cherry tree just now 1 boot full at a time, which reminds me you are only likely to get timber brought to you if it is better than taking it their home tip (so guys working out if their usual area for example, of if the local ones are passing your front door).

A morning walk can also be good, chainsaws going at 8:00 means a big tree coming down somewhere.... all you can do is ask!! (I had one earmarked for me last year till the customers friend rolled up and asked his friend if he could have the wood, customers wood, he kept it for his friend)

Finally very unlikely you will get it split and dried for free, you'll have to factor in doing all that yourself. The first load of wood I had tipped came in handy 3m lengths and 2 flat back trucks full, would have been shopping for a saw that weekend if I hadn't got one already.

• Like 2

Nice, thanks for the advice and reply, I will have to blow the dust off of my running shoes. Neighbour has a chainsaw, I wouldn't dare buy or use one but I'm sure for a few quid he would do some cutting. 

I shall keep my eyes and ears open at 8am. 

Thanks again 

What kind of compost bin?

I'm building a kind of treadmill tumbler this summer, more for the novelty of it and to give the kids something to play on, rather than as a replacement for the traditional 3-bay slow system, which really can't be beat.

I'd like to have a propagation table heated by the burning vent gas of a bokashi system one day, once I have a bit more space to set up in. 

What kind of compost bin?

I'm building a kind of treadmill tumbler this summer, more for the novelty of it and to give the kids something to play on, rather than as a replacement for the traditional 3-bay slow system, which really can't be beat.

I'd like to have a propagation table heated by the burning vent gas of a bokashi system one day, once I have a bit more space to set up in. 

Sounds interesting. I've been contemplating building a compost tumbler, with an incorporated sieving system. To save time at both stages. Not thought to combine it with a piece of playground equipment though. Genius if it works!

Keep us updated with progress.

I've got a few of the Dalek type plastic ones, mostly acquired for free, so plenty of capacity and they work well. It would just be nice to get the compost finished quicker than the normal 2 or 3 years. Sieving it by hand, when I want fine stuff, is a right ball ache too.

Those dalek ones I think are best for doing things like leafmold, just filling them with leaves and water and ignoring them for three years, topping them up with leaves as they shrink; or some other fairly homogeneous self-composting material like chicken bedding (I mean, you need to piss on it, of course). Anything else tends to need tossing about a bit, and you just need some space to work. Hard to beat the cubic meter of a pallet bin.

The tumbler will be loosely modelled on something like this:

image.png.b0c003c5bb1f0c02015eae1fa99ecfa5.png

Edited by peds

Those dalek ones I think are best for doing things like leafmold, just filling them with leaves and water and ignoring them for three years, topping them up with leaves as they shrink; or some other fairly homogeneous self-composting material like chicken bedding (I mean, you need to piss on it, of course). Anything else tends to need tossing about a bit, and you just need some space to work. Hard to beat the cubic meter of a pallet bin.

The tumbler will be loosely modelled on something like this:

image.png.b0c003c5bb1f0c02015eae1fa99ecfa5.png
Nice. Good use of the tyres round the outside.

I agree, the Daleks are useless if you need to turn it over, so I very rarely do. It always comes out fine anyway, if I leave it long enough, just takes a while. Having an open or at least opening front is better. We often get rats in ours, after the kitchen waste, so I've thought about using fencing gravel boards for the sides of a pallet bin type. Not convinced it'd stop em though.

Compost bins always the sides/corners that are slowest its all about temp / surface to volume ratio (large bin works best) and also turning so its best have a row of 3 bays.

Having insulated bins (some companies sell them) and correct ratios of N to C are also factors in composting speed...

So the ideal compost bin a a 3 tier system   the first is turned into the second then that goes into the third. (Get a decent muck fork makes the  job alot easier.) As for construction material, ideal is   concrete blocks.

Thoose daleks are pretty useless takes ages to work and would fill up with one  cut of even a small lawn etc. Probem is most peoples composts bins are way to small for the size of there garden so most useful material goes into the council green bin. so people are giving away the fertility of soil in there garden and being charged for it.

Edited by Stere

Hello,

I am back on the office today so late replies. It is a dalek bin, not the best ones as you need to turn the compost, but it is a 70quid one so I didn't say no. And it is better than nothing.  However I am purchasing one that turns in the near future.

You are right about the green bins, I try to keep as much as possible. At the moment I tend to have more weeds goutch (however you spell it) so they go in the green bin... I am waiting for a week of nice weather so I can blitz the garden again.