Chainsaw value, anyideas?

rodp

9 hours ago, rodp said:

True, but a chainsaw takes minutes to warm up, no water jacket, no great lumps of cast iron. I feel any engine is best started from cold, then run until warm, turned off a while and started again. And it would have to be a very worn engine to not start hot.

Same with all engines really, just takes longer with a car or truck (speaking as ex main dealer truck mechanic, ex motorcyclist and ex motor sport competitor);)

Ok . but in my experience ( 70 years old next birthday ) dependent on the degree of loss of compression a low comp saw won't restart  once up to temp . ( just speaking as me really ) .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

Ok . but in my experience ( 70 years old next birthday ) dependent on the degree of loss of compression a low comp saw won't restart  once up to temp . ( just speaking as me really ) .

Why not both?

Start it cold. Let it warm then try again when hot.

More importantly pop the muffler off and have a look at the pot and piston.
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Why not both?

Start it cold. Let it warm then try again when hot.

More importantly pop the muffler off and have a look at the pot and piston.

Yes all that but I thought they were talking about a film of it being started . 

Just now, Stubby said:

Yes all that but I thought they were talking about a film of it being started . 

99.99% of folk buying a toy saw like this will not know the difference.

And how do you show it’s hot in a video? Start the video by showing the temp on an infrared thermometer then fire it up? 🤣

Maybe burn your fingers on the muffler and show them the blisters? 🤣🤣🤣

No one buying a £50 saw is gonna care. 

• Like 3

1 minute ago, trigger_andy said:

99.99% of folk buying a toy saw like this will not know the difference.

And how do you show it’s hot in a video? Start the video by showing the temp on an infrared thermometer then fire it up? 🤣

Maybe burn your fingers on the muffler and show them the blisters? 🤣🤣🤣

No one buying a £50 saw is gonna care. 

Yep . 

• Haha 1

Yup, a sub £100 saw is for domestic use or for serious refurbishment if it is a higher power, so selling to a bloke down the street they want to know it starts and runs, and doesn't sound too bad (which is why I suggested a video) before they come to buy. I get a feeling that the OP has taken a bit of care with his kit so unlikely to be too knackered... but all good info for us all.

Bolted chain connection... again selling to a bloke down the street will see then with the quick adjusters new online, see the bolted connections on a saw and jump to conclusions that an older model will be more problems regardless of the facts, and will want to pay less.

2 hours ago, adw said:

This is amazing, in the course of twenty or so post we have gone from clean and tidy and runs well, to the bloody things don’t run and are completely knackered, priceless.

Yep, don't really know how we got to that either as I stated both run well, one been serviced, both really clean, one harder to start than the other. I'll either get around to selling them, or chuck them under the bench and forget about them for a few years more.

But it all makes a good read and passes the time away, so it doesn't really matter 🤣

• Like 1

2 hours ago, john87 said:

Well, firstly i would say that you will never sell a saw that does not run. If you got them going i would imagine you would get £100 each though.

john..

Got to ask, where did you get the "Does not run" from?