Chainsaw value, anyideas?

rodp

I wasn't thinking anywhere near £150 to be honest, that's why I asked. I know what I would pay for a diy saw but on the other hand don't really want to give money away.

I'll chuck them on market place for a price or offers and see what happens, or even swap for something like a Titan brush cutter and see if there's any response.

• Like 1

For the Stihl, it is the older model with bolts on the chain rather than the quick adjust which might drop its price a bit. I keep an eye out, mine is the MS181, a model up, but share a lot of the same parts, £50 to £75 for that.

I guess the other saw is similar use and quality, so a similar price?

My thought would be sell them both and get the cash then you have the power to get a brush cutter, cash talks more than swaps,

As for buying a second hand saw, I have no problem with that though mine were bought new, the hedge trimmers and blower were both second hand "spares or repair", once started and carb adjusted they work OK. Not everyone can afford brand new and not everyone will have a handy power supply to spend the same on a corded electric model, so it is worth trying and someone will buy them. If you can get them running then pop a video on any online sales page of them running that says a lot more than "this works, honest" - nothing to say you can't start them from warm in the video though.

6 hours ago, Steven P said:

For the Stihl, it is the older model with bolts on the chain rather than the quick adjust which might drop its price a bit. I keep an eye out, mine is the MS181, a model up, but share a lot of the same parts, £50 to £75 for that.

I guess the other saw is similar use and quality, so a similar price?

My thought would be sell them both and get the cash then you have the power to get a brush cutter, cash talks more than swaps,

As for buying a second hand saw, I have no problem with that though mine were bought new, the hedge trimmers and blower were both second hand "spares or repair", once started and carb adjusted they work OK. Not everyone can afford brand new and not everyone will have a handy power supply to spend the same on a corded electric model, so it is worth trying and someone will buy them. If you can get them running then pop a video on any online sales page of them running that says a lot more than "this works, honest" - nothing to say you can't start them from warm in the video though.

I would rather someone started them from cold themselves to be honest, I'm not in to the hassle of conning folk for a few quid. Whoever has them I want to go away knowing I was honest, and without any doubt as to what they bought.

Looking around they'll probably fetch £50 / £60 each, so ideal for someone in their garden or a professional to chuck in the back of the truck as a spare "just in case".

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, rodp said:

I would rather someone started them from cold themselves to be honest, I'm not in to the hassle of conning folk for a few quid. Whoever has them I want to go away knowing I was honest, and without any doubt as to what they bought.

Looking around they'll probably fetch £50 / £60 each, so ideal for someone in their garden or a professional to chuck in the back of the truck as a spare "just in case".

That's fair. The video of them starting and running is good sales tool that not many people use, the buyer has to take it on trust "this works" - see it running and the confidence level rises a lot, more likely to sell it quicker and maybe for a better price.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Steven P said:

That's fair. The video of them starting and running is good sales tool that not many people use, the buyer has to take it on trust "this works" - see it running and the confidence level rises a lot, more likely to sell it quicker and maybe for a better price.

In all honesty............ I really can't be bothered for an extra £20 or so. I'm not too far off 70 and videoing and posting it is something I just don't want to bother with. Probably a doddle to a younger person, but not me. Basically, I'm an old git.

1 hour ago, rodp said:

If I were going to buy one ( I am not ) I would rather they were started from hot and left to tick over for a bit . That way you would know that compression is good . Low comp engine will run for a bit when cold but once warmed up they stop and won't restart .

10 hours ago, Steven P said:

For the Stihl, it is the older model with bolts on the chain rather than the quick adjust which might drop its price a bit.

I'd rather have the bolts than the self loosener 😁

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

If I were going to buy one ( I am not ) I would rather they were started from hot and left to tick over for a bit . That way you would know that compression is good . Low comp engine will run for a bit when cold but once warmed up they stop and won't restart .

I've learnt something new. l didn't realise that a low compression saw would be worse at hot starting. Is that because the cylinder expands more that the piston and rings as it warms up?

35 minutes ago, maybelateron said:

I've learnt something new. l didn't realise that a low compression saw would be worse at hot starting. Is that because the cylinder expands more that the piston and rings as it warms up?

Yes clearances open up to the point where it won't support combustion .

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Yes clearances open up to the point where it won't support combustion .

True, but a chainsaw takes minutes to warm up, no water jacket, no great lumps of cast iron. I feel any engine is best started from cold, then run until warm, turned off a while and started again. And it would have to be a very worn engine to not start hot.

Same with all engines really, just takes longer with a car or truck (speaking as ex main dealer truck mechanic, ex motorcyclist and ex motor sport competitor);)