Newbie Turtle carve "progress thread"

In my first post/request for help  on the log for my turtle, it was suggest I show progress.   So here are some pics..     The end is about 4 hours in (ran out of gas but I only had a pint on hand).   

I think my turtle is starting to find their identity but has a long way to go.   This red elm is pretty tough stuff so slow going;    My little Dremel carbide bits were very slow on this.     I am think of getting some rotary Rasps for my drill  to help on smoothing and detail.  This is my first carve so feedback if you think I am doing something wrong or that a rasp set would be a waste on such hardwood and I should stick to just using the chainsaw. 

20220604_134647.jpg

20220604_140109.jpg

20220604_150052.jpg

20220604_173024.jpg

• Like 3

Day two progress (about 6 hours).    

Finish rough chainsaw work on top, work on bottom, edged fins, refined top and fins (with cut through). Added hawksbill shell pattern.  I used a circular saw for some of the surface work while chainsaw cooled (chainsaw was not starting, and waited and cleaned sparkplug and then continued).  I found the circular saw more controllable for the scutes on the carapace (i.e. shell pattern).  I  then used a drill with carbide bit from Dremel to thicken and smooth the groves.     Started sanding, still more to go but had enough for the day.   Bottom will need more work.   

20220605_114237.jpg

20220605_114506_HDR.jpg

20220605_122404_HDR.jpg

Sawing.jpg

20220605_163400_HDR.jpg

20220605_173034.jpg

• Like 3

1 hour ago, dr_innovation said:

Day two progress (about 6 hours).    

Finish rough chainsaw work on top, work on bottom, edged fins, refined top and fins (with cut through). Added hawksbill shell pattern.  I used a circular saw for some of the surface work while chainsaw cooled (chainsaw was not starting, and waited and cleaned sparkplug and then continued).  I found the circular saw more controllable for the scutes on the carapace (i.e. shell pattern).  I  then used a drill with carbide bit from Dremel to thicken and smooth the groves.     Started sanding, still more to go but had enough for the day.   Bottom will need more work.   

20220605_114237.jpg

20220605_114506_HDR.jpg

20220605_122404_HDR.jpg

Sawing.jpg

20220605_163400_HDR.jpg

20220605_173034.jpg

I can see its a Giraffe already ! 👍

• Haha 1

Thanks for the feedback.   I guess the shell could use a bit more rounding and I did originally plan for more but was getting tired.    However  I did not really start on the head (and feet) except the rough cutting.  I was leaving head/feet  for last since I know the circular saw, sanding and Dremel can get most of that done so if I run out of gas again I can still finish.         My arms/hands were quite tired and so I did not want to tackle something that needed precision, like the head,  and decided to start sanding to see how it looked.    In doing so I learned I have to be much more careful when carving with the saw, specially when "smoothing".       As it was,  there are multiple gouges here and there on the shell from slight slips/digs when carving the dome shape (visible on pic with sander on it) and visible by the feet and especially on the fins. 

Edited by dr_innovation

On 12/06/2022 at 15:00, gobbypunk said:

Hi if you want a nice finish try a Full Feature Chain or Full Comp they dont have a gap twice as many cutters as an ordanary chain

Thanks..  will look at that next time.  For this I ended up using a "carbine cup" grinder head to and then a sanding.

Nearly finished but it still  need another finish.  This will be outdoors.   Video below shows how fast the 3rd coat soaked in.  not sure pure oil finish will work for this, the oil is just being soaked up as the surface is so cracked it just disappars even after 3 coats. of https://www.homedepot.com/p/Preserva-Wood-1-qt-Oil-Based-Clear-Penetrating-Exterior-Stain-and-Sealer-42501/100154346.    Do I need to do spar urethane or something like  Poly+expoxy?   

Other than finish, here are more of the build progress threads.  Note this is a hawksbill turtle (not a green sea turtle) which has a "hawk" like bill  and more ornate shell pattern.   I used the sapwood which was almost white to do ehe bill and some white edging on the flippers. 

Again this is my first carve (of any kind) and I'm pretty happy with the learning process and my wife likes the (near) final results.  Thanks for the many useful threads here (and other places) and the feedback.    Unfortunately it continued cracking and while the pins held during the build I had to do surgery on a flipper (though both flippers have two point of attachments so they will not just fall off even if it cracks through.   Howver,  the surface has lots of microcracks and many deeper edge cracks from top to bottom, .    So it may not last long outside.  

For those that are interested, based on reading and the desire for the shell patterns, I used 3 types of stain   tea followed by  Vinger/iron   for "black",   a water-based brown transparent and a gray water-based semi-opaque for the light lines. I knew from test pieces the wood would darken a lot and I wanted the highlights on the shell,  on the flippers and face to stand out.   (On pic has flippers where I tried to stand patterns but was not happy with them). 

20220608_201137_HDR.jpg

20220609_190109_HDR.jpg

20220611_152133_HDR.jpg

20220611_215233.jpg

20220613_181401_HDR.jpg

20220613_181410_HDR.jpg

20220613_181418_HDR.jpg

20220613_181423_HDR.jpg

20220613_181503_HDR.jpg

Edited by dr_innovation
  • Like 6

• 1 month later...

Following up on cracking. 

I left the turtle in the garage as we took a 2-week vacation.  Came back to massive new cracks.  one is more than an inch wide.. and 12 in long (2.5cm x 30cm) .. the other is 1/2inx6in( 1.25cmx15cm) -- see pick below.   

Does one fix these as soon as they are able to (e.g. to stop the crack spreading) or do you let it keep going and then patch a larger one later?    Since it can take a long time to dry if I am waiting do I keep it indoors and for how long?     I've read multiple thread and other blogs on how to (and did some before I carved) but none of them said when to do it after carving. 

image.thumb.jpeg.32643bd5fa971e4e81e7238a84dc5860.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.6224035b11caea4ede94bf4e0f8e97ca.jpeg