Forestry Felling - 572xp or 500i?

Spruce Pirate

When I got my 500i it was all the rage to compare it with the 572 which of course is a silly thing with the almost 10cc difference !

I said at the time I still found  my 572 the better saw for day to day stuff as it had a more solid feel, better air filter and better fuel consumption. A couple of years later I stand by that. 

Over the weekend a group of us had a look at the 500i with all the bits fitted as you tend to see now, Max flow air filter etc etc and my 592 was only a little  heavier and only a little heavier than the 572, food for thought ?

I have 2x 572 and still reckon on a all round saw it's hard to beat.

Just a side note, one of my pals has 2x 500i and within a year he noticed  his first had lost some of it's "go" and this guy is very good on looking after his gear. He also had one new one give trouble it went back to dealer and never came back he was just given a new one. They are a very good saw but if any problems then seems to be a handfull to sort out ?

Edited by outinthewood
  • Like 4

Both are different saws. The 500i is nearly 10cc bigger in displacement hence the need for extra fuel. Plus side of the 500 is the power and that it is constant. The downside of this is if you fell low the exhaust pressure throws all the dirt off the floor. Some of the plastics are a bit fragile. Broke the air filter cover in a week. The 500 will pull a much bigger bar than it says. No issue with a 36 inch bar, not sure if the 572 would do the same.

I spent my money on a 572 and I have an 18 20 and 24 inch bar for it. It is currently my go to saw. The vibration is higher than a 500i but not that noticeable. It's more lively than the 576 and quicker in the cut than the 372. Performance wise its close to the 462 but with better handling. 

I think the 462 and 572 are great forestry saws and the 500i is an amazing arb saw as it replaces so many saws.

• Like 4

I’ve had both 462 and 500. 500 is an amazing saw but wouldn’t want to be running it in forestry it’s way too thirsty. 462 isn’t much slower, slightly lighter but will do way more cutting to a tank than the 500.

Can’t comment on the 572 as with all husky’s they are never in stock.

i know that the 500i is a fair saw but i also know that a friend of mine has been running his since they came out . well i say running his he is on his 3rd replacement under warranty due to parts falling off or breaking down . in the same time i have been running my husky 560 ( i know its not the saw you looked at ) with no issues .

• Like 1

As we know the 462 is a tireless workhorse for the forestry cutter, I’d like a quid for every ton I’ve dropped with it.
But the 500i also has its merits and a joy to use albeit a little thirsty.
I still have my trusty ported 660 which I still use on the big hardwood but getting a bit of a handful at my time of life.

• Like 1

Thanks for all the replies.

First off, I've already ruled out a 462 from Stihl, it's an OK saw, but it doesn't perform as well as the 572 in my opinion.  I had an extended demo of one a while back and it's good, but it's not a 572.  A bit clunky and the rear handle has a tendency to fall apart.  All you hardwood guys in the south might like them but I still think the Husky is better for softwoods which is what I do most of.

I'm well aware that the 500i is 10cc (or almost) bigger in engine capacity than the 572, and that we possibly shouldn't be comparing them.  They do however fall into the same niche when felling, at least up here they seem to, so they're always going to get compared.  Maybe the question should be why Stihl had to build a bigger saw to compete with the Husqvarna?

I'm still not sure whether to just go for the 500i as it's there (but might not be for much longer), or hold out until a 572 can be got.  Decisions, decisions.......

• Like 6

On 05/06/2022 at 19:25, Spruce Pirate said:

Thanks for all the replies.

First off, I've already ruled out a 462 from Stihl, it's an OK saw, but it doesn't perform as well as the 572 in my opinion.  I had an extended demo of one a while back and it's good, but it's not a 572.  A bit clunky and the rear handle has a tendency to fall apart.  All you hardwood guys in the south might like them but I still think the Husky is better for softwoods which is what I do most of.

I'm well aware that the 500i is 10cc (or almost) bigger in engine capacity than the 572, and that we possibly shouldn't be comparing them.  They do however fall into the same niche when felling, at least up here they seem to, so they're always going to get compared.  Maybe the question should be why Stihl had to build a bigger saw to compete with the Husqvarna?

I'm still not sure whether to just go for the 500i as it's there (but might not be for much longer), or hold out until a 572 can be got.  Decisions, decisions.......

If you get a chance, try out the 565..........detuned version of the 572, but as of yet I've not noticed any real world difference between the two.  I'm running both with 20" bars and only bought the 565 as it was available at about £120 cheaper than the 572 and most importantly.....available!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, bilke_user said:

If you get a chance, try out the 565..........detuned version of the 572, but as of yet I've not noticed any real world difference between the two.  I'm running both with 20" bars and only bought the 565 as it was available at about £120 cheaper than the 572 and most importantly.....available!

Sounds like the old 365 compared to the 372.

1 minute ago, Spruce Pirate said:

Sounds like the old 365 compared to the 372.

Go try one and tell me the difference between it and the 572, except price and not as revvy.  Certainly no difference in cutting performance.........but that might be down to me being closer to 60 than 50.  :)