Competent/experienced climber wanted. CHELMSFORD AREA

LUKOHARLOW

South Hanningfield Tree Surgeons are in need of a freelance / self employed climber to join our team based in Rettendon, Chelmsford Essex. 

Competitive hourly rates of pay available, up to £25p/h for the right candidate depending on experience, certificates, driveability and willingness to work.

Duties include leading the team and stepping up to become lead climber, yard duties, log splitting, helping with the fencing business on occasion and so on.

If you feel this could be the role for you, please send your CV with accreditation to [email protected] or phone directly on 07768116517 to discuss your needs and requirements. 

A H&S questionnaire will follow.

Many thanks 

23 hours ago, LUKOHARLOW said:

South Hanningfield Tree Surgeons are in need of a freelance / self employed climber to join our team based in Rettendon, Chelmsford Essex. 

Competitive hourly rates of pay available, up to £25p/h for the right candidate depending on experience, certificates, driveability and willingness to work.

Duties include leading the team and stepping up to become lead climber, yard duties, log splitting, helping with the fencing business on occasion and so on.

If you feel this could be the role for you, please send your CV with accreditation to [email protected] or phone directly on 07768116517 to discuss your needs and requirements. 

A H&S questionnaire will follow.

Many thanks 

Sounds like you're looking for an employee. 

• Like 2

As a subby I wouldn't climb for hourly otherwise I'd be looking to be employed work. We set our prices because that's what we want to earn in a day to cover our costs and make self employment viable. Going home early with a full days wage is also an incentive to work your ass off and do a good job.

If you have two people being paid £25ph at different skill levels.  One is an insane climber, efficient and hardworking, not interested in long breaks and one is a a less confident, slower climber, likes a break, makes the job drag a bit. You will not only be paying the lesser climber more money but you are doing your buisness a disservice.

Interested to know if you invoice your clients a per hour rate? Or each job is priced? as I guess that would change things as you wouldn't know how much you're getting paid either!

• Like 7

15 hours ago, LUKOHARLOW said:

No, just a self employed tree surgeon. 

I pay hourly here as it saves people knocking off early and expecting a full day's money.

You earn what you work 👍

That’s hardly the point Joe was making.

I wouldn’t bother with the H&S questionnaire, you’d be better off reading up on employment law.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

That’s hardly the point Joe was making.

I wouldn’t bother with the H&S questionnaire, you’d be better off reading up on employment law.

I'm only offering a job to someone who wants it and if I missed a point that Joe was making then please fill me in.

The questionnaire is simply there to ascertain whether a candidate is suitable for the role, I.e. doesn't abuse drugs or alcohol, is bodily fit for work, hasn't had any previous accidents that we should be aware of etc etc.

I like to know who a bit about who I'm taking on rather than just winging it and hoping for the best

I hear about this a lot from the lads I use, They are sub contractors and they set their rates. I either pay that or I don't. This rate is per day or by the job. If they get that work done by 2pm then they go home being paid for the day, if the take till 6pm to do the job they go home paid for the day. They bring all their own kit etc and do the job. A lot of company's treat them like employees when it suits.
Sorry to derail the post and I'm sure you will find someone.

11 hours ago, LUKOHARLOW said:

I'm only offering a job to someone who wants it and if I missed a point that Joe was making then please fill me in.

The questionnaire is simply there to ascertain whether a candidate is suitable for the role, I.e. doesn't abuse drugs or alcohol, is bodily fit for work, hasn't had any previous accidents that we should be aware of etc etc.

I like to know who a bit about who I'm taking on rather than just winging it and hoping for the best

I think the point being made is you are seeking a Self Employed worker but the advert reads very much like an employed role.

You can establish what HMRC consider the position to be in a few minutes, anonymously, using their "Employment Calculator for Tax Purposes"

https://www.tax.service.gov.uk/check-employment-status-for-tax/disclaimer

• Like 2

• 2 months later...

Some very valid points raised and I agree that it reads as a PAYE opportunity. I'm curious as to why you'd believe that you can tell a person's character by the answers given on a H&S questionnaire. Most people would agree I think that you'd need to interview at least to see if they're fit, abuse drink or drugs etc, Although references or a trial period is better. 

Your ad tells me that basically you want an employee and that you either haven't enough work to offer a full or part time vacancy or you are not willing to pay Sick and holiday pay. Therefore by using self employed people you don't need to worry.