Any back boiler stoves left?

scbk

Boiler stoves are designed to burn very slowly and use solid fuel for optimum performance.

The 2022 Eco Design legislation that came into place in the UK on 1st Jan makes it an offence for a stove manufacturer to supply a stove that does not conform to the new regs.    Boiler stoves slow burning makes the gases given off pretty dirty thus pretty well all are now banned from sale.  Dealers can still sell ex display or ones they have in stock.

I am advised that Dik Guerts have a 2022 compliant boiler stove ( Ivar 10 H20) with about 5kw to the room and another 5 to the water,  but lead times are very long.     Arada and Hunter are working on getting a 2022 compliant boiler stove, these will probably involve catalytic filters in the base of the flue.    Using solid fuel these will block very quickly so the new generation of boiler stoves are likely to be dedicated wood burners unless someone comes up with a technical step forward.

Most solid fuels have now also been banned for sale from manufacturer to dealer,  but dealer can still sell stock bought before 31srt Dec 21.  Anthracite is continuing along with several of the higher quality smokeless fuels,  the latter have had there sulpher content reduced which  reduces heat output and their willingness to burn.

Someone mentioned Ecoburn 11,  steel shortages have meant that Arada put all their steel into the most popular models,   so Ecoburn 9,11 and 14 have all been discontinued at present but I would expect them to re appear once the global steel supply situation resolves itself.  Clip in boilers for these models are only likely to have an output of 3 or 4kw,   only enough for a couple of radiators.

A

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Alycidon said:

Boiler stoves are designed to burn very slowly

I remember when I bought my woodburner with boiler in 2009 the salesman in the showroom said it would be idling for long periods and I believed him.  In reality it is running pretty hot most of the time and if I use chunky logs or wood briquettes I have it on max.  Very rare indeed I allow it to idle.

Now of course if it was only to heat hot water that would be different but my burner heats eight radiators and is the only heat source during the afternoon and evening heating a poorly insulated house.

Overall it works very well, so if I ever have to replace it I will do my best to do so like for like.  It is a Morso Dove if anyone is interested - 14kw I believe.

• Like 1

As a Morso dealer who has sold a few Doves over the years it is a lovely old stove but was designed to burn solid fuel principally.   It was discontinued in 2018 having been in production since around 1983.

Burning wood then its unlikely to idle as wood is far easier to conbust than solid fuel.

A

2 hours ago, Alycidon said:

As a Morso dealer who has sold a few Doves over the years it is a lovely old stove but was designed to burn solid fuel principally.   It was discontinued in 2018 having been in production since around 1983.

Burning wood then its unlikely to idle as wood is far easier to conbust than solid fuel.

A

Interesting.  You have total control over the burn as you can shut it down as much as you like with the three air vents.  I just choose not to!

I remember a few years ago staying at a holiday home somewhere and taking a bit of wood with me - mainly small stuff - it was hopeless - no way to burn it slowly.  Load it up with fuel and it became an unbearable inferno.  Ten minutes later it was down to ashes.  And apparently that is the trend with modern stoves - no way to slow them down.

• Like 1

Another vote for the Dunsley Yorkshire wood burner. Ours was installed in 2010 and runs alongside an oil boiler via a Dunsley Neutraliser. I believe the output is 4kW to the room and 13kW to the backboiler. 

Not as effective as the oil boiler but cheaper to run. And getting cheaper.

13kW is maybe a bit light for a 4 bed detached with cavity wall insulation, double glazing and good loft insulation but the radiators all heat up noticeably and the oil boiler will kick in and out to top up as required.

Back in the day, I can remember excited conversations between wood burner owners about whether or not yours would "stay in" overnight! With hindsight that involved a lot of slumbering and, of course, we now know better.

• Like 2

The Dunsley Yorkshire boiler stove is rated at 14.5 kW with 6.6kW to room if burning beech logs and refuelling every hour (instruction booklet) otherwise I think it is rated at about 13kw with about 4kW to the room. They have stopped making this stove which was an excellent stove and was certificated for use in smoke control areas in 1999. It will heat an average sized living room and keep 3 bedroomed house warm plus heat domestic hot water (best with electric shower though), it burns full on with seasoned wood and glass kept clean. If another room other than the room stove in that is used as a sitting room then in winter an addition heat source would be required with a 3 bedroom house with say dining room, living room/office, kitchen  , bathroom and hallway to heat. A Dursley Yorkshire Woodstove plus a 4kW wood stove in another room with secondary glazing would be warm enough, the stove would be good for >10 years from new. An excellent stove and would recommend it, just a pity Dursley have had to stopped manufacturing them. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Alycidon said:

A

Been dying to ask you question coz I was a little puzzled but I get it now .  You don't class logs as solid . 🙂