Climbing Neighbour's Tree

Mike1234

1 hour ago, Chipperclown said:

Anyone who takes on a job like this (if they have been made aware) is desperate for work and most likely inexperienced. Hands up who wants to go to work and get grief, not me, I will stay at home and just post on Arbtalk thanks very much! 

When you’re starting out, or even when you’re established, you get involved in neighbourly disputes from time to time.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Mick Dempsey said:

When you’re starting out, or even when you’re established, you get involved in neighbourly disputes from time to time.

I cannot see what it has to do with the arb worker person. It would be a bit like someone having a house put up without planning permission and the builder getting the blame.

How do you deal with neighbour disputes??

I would think the best thing would be to just carry on and if the neighbour carries on performing simply phone the police. They have no power to do anything other than to threaten the mouthy neighbour with arrest.

Is this sort of thing a regular occurance??

When you turn up at a house to remove a tree, say, how do you know there is not a TPO on the thing..

Would it be possible to make customers sign a disclaimer that they indemnify you from any actions or expense should it turn out that they misinformed you as to any TPO's or agreements [or otherwise] with neighbours?

john..

4 minutes ago, john87 said:

Would it be possible to make customers sign a disclaimer that they indemnify you from any actions or expense should it turn out that they misinformed you as to any TPO's or agreements [or otherwise] with neighbours?

I doubt it. You are the professional it's up to you to check before hand.

Once you've lost money due to neighbour issues you will think twice before getting involved again. Besides, morals play some part for most people. Knowingly damaging someone elses property without their consent doesn't usually come high on the list of priorities.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Mesterh said:

I doubt it. You are the professional it's up to you to check before hand.

Once you've lost money due to neighbour issues you will think twice before getting involved again. Besides, morals play some part for most people. Knowingly damaging someone elses property without their consent doesn't usually come high on the list of priorities.

Steady on, that is like saying builders should ask the people next door if they mind them putting up an extension.. Besides, in the case of trees, once the thing has left your property, it is beyond your control what the neighbour does to it. YOU, should have kept it under control..

john..

Well, if planning permission has been agreed then is too late but it's not the same thing. By all means cut back to the boundary but be prepared for grief if the tree owner is being funny like the op makes out it to be. 

I agree that people certainly shouldn't plant trees without any consideration whatsoever to their neighbours but go and do a job with a neighborly dispute and let us know how it goes.

It's not worth the hassle. Most of us have been there and have tried to make amends but more often than not you get left out of pocket when you could have been doing something far more productive and pleasant instead.

• Like 2

The onus must be on the person or business doing the work to know if they are acting within the law.

What people say is often vague or untrue, and they often have no idea about their neighbours anyway. Whatever the job, tree removal, pruning or a hedge we'll always try to engage anyone affected prior to starting.

They can be very happy to see the tree go or the hedge reduced, but there are times it benefits us to be the diplomatic intermediary.

One example, a large TPO Sycamore near boundary on development site. Had Consultant Report saying remove due to condition and the TO's go ahead. Winch attached, about to fell when neighbouring lady starts pushing paperwork through fence a metre from tree, crying and screaming the usual stuff about Birds and Bats etc, quoting her past correspondence with TO, then her solicitor (also sister!) arrived beside her. It was a difficult day, I felt for her situation but ultimately she had no grounds to stop us. 5hrs later they went inside and we felled it.

In hindsight we should've gone to her door first to have a chat.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, john87 said:

Steady on, that is like saying builders should ask the people next door if they mind them putting up an extension.. Besides, in the case of trees, once the thing has left your property, it is beyond your control what the neighbour does to it. YOU, should have kept it under control..

john..

It's the same as working for people with dog shit covered gardens, or clients who are after the lowest possible price and want to negotiate, or the old dear who doesn't want her spring bulbs and herb garden damaging on a big dismantle.

Most of us would rather avoid the aggro of we don't need the work that badly.

It's never just going to be a case of turning up and doing the job. You stand to lose money easily so often it's not worth getting involved in.

• Like 4

If there's one thing worse than neighbour tree disputes, it's neighbour fence disputes.

If there's even a hint of a boundary issue when quoting a fencing job, it's always all the money up front and a decent email trail.

Sometimes I like to send some of the 'rougher' lads and unmarked vans for contentious hedge jobs, just to stir the shit if I don't like the neighbour either 🤣

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1