Van or car in forestry

Donnie

3 hours ago, IronMike said:

My plan was to fold down or even entirely remove 2 of the rear seats and extend the boot as such. I'll leave one seat free incase I need to move people. 

That's exactly what I've done on mine Mike. It's either 2 or 4 bolts, can't remember and makes for almost van like room in the back. Left the single rear seat in folded up.

14 hours ago, IronMike said:

I think if you generally work in the woods, away from prying eyes, you can be reasonably safe. It's the trips into urban areas with the thieving twunts you have to be cautious of.

Ur definately right when u stop off for some shopping on hte way hame, but i'm not entirely sure exactly how safe it is up woods either.

All sorts of folk snooping about forest tracks, some jobs i can barely find my way back to the tarmac yet the thieving desiel fairies seem  to smell the jos out almost as soon as they start.

How the hell they find them i'll never know.

This is possibly harsh and unfair but on large forest areas i never entirely trust the wagon drivers, not that i've ever had aything nicked out my van.

But very easyfor them or anyone else to stop for literally 1 min tan a window and go off with a handful of saws, be no witnesses and very umlikely to  be spotted.

But the mulcher driver did nick 2 cracking set of long chains i had at my own bit, bloody seen him loading up too when out with dogs never thought to check my chains were still there, possibly my own fault for leaving them ontop of some windblow i was dragging till the following wknd

On 29/05/2022 at 18:14, Ratman said:

Skoda yeti 4x4, fold the back seats down when ya need, shove em back up if ya need to carry more than two folks.

I’ve looked at the Yeti option for many years and it’s been the subject of debate lately with a couple of friends who have needed such options.

One dropped on a 4x4 Caddy Maxi van and has put a set of BFG All terrains on it, making a real handy setup, the other bought a standard Caddy but is looking for a Yeti after a bit of research found they can easily make a decent enough van.

I’m not certain on years, spec etc, but they were offered as a Commercial you could get from Ireland called the Sherpa which are a tidy thing.

Apparently standard seats are designed to just lift out in full individual units and can easily be replaced.

You can then fabricate a tray to give a flat floor and protect everything.

I’ve always looked at them and thought with the back windows wrapped or tinted and the seats out they would make a great little 4x4 van that wouldn’t look out of place anywhere.

A quick google of the Skoda Yeti Sherpa pretty much confirmed that.

Caddy 4x4 with BFG’s

DE30ED4B-111A-4A0E-8F0C-EEBD03FA4106.thumb.jpeg.0075acb4ba8d6d2133f56c1f4f4d6ffd.jpeg

Yeti with seats lifted out and a fabricated flat tray.

3CD0D7E5-5374-4AF0-B8FB-76C77211ED50.thumb.jpeg.cdabbf7506c76ece0dc0461e710ed5ed.jpeg

645B5EB7-77A3-4299-BFFD-E25F401BECB1.thumb.jpeg.f2cd3d67f370c371160c4a3340670741.jpeg

If the jobs absolutely on it’s arse and they won’t pay for digs, then this!😂

D051AFA4-A203-488B-A36F-F1F936CBA754.thumb.jpeg.16066c7ba9780c18309b931442f1c9fa.jpeg

Edited by LGP Eddie
  • Like 4

I’ve looked at the Yeti option for many years and it’s been the subject of debate lately with a couple of friends who have needed such options.

One dropped on a 4x4 Caddy Maxi van and has put a set of BFG All terrains on it, making a real handy setup, the other bought a standard Caddy but is looking for a Yeti after a bit of research found they can easily make a decent enough van.

I’m not certain on years, spec etc, but they were offered as a Commercial you could get from Ireland called the Sherpa which are a tidy thing.

Apparently standard seats are designed to just lift out in full individual units and can easily be replaced.

You can then fabricate a tray to give a flat floor and protect everything.

I’ve always looked at them and thought with the back windows wrapped or tinted and the seats out they would make a great little 4x4 van that wouldn’t look out of place anywhere.

A quick google of the Skoda Yeti Sherpa pretty much confirmed that.

Caddy 4x4 with BFG’s

DE30ED4B-111A-4A0E-8F0C-EEBD03FA4106.thumb.jpeg.0075acb4ba8d6d2133f56c1f4f4d6ffd.jpeg

Yeti with seats lifted out and a fabricated flat tray.

3CD0D7E5-5374-4AF0-B8FB-76C77211ED50.thumb.jpeg.cdabbf7506c76ece0dc0461e710ed5ed.jpeg

645B5EB7-77A3-4299-BFFD-E25F401BECB1.thumb.jpeg.f2cd3d67f370c371160c4a3340670741.jpeg

If the jobs absolutely on it’s arse and they won’t pay for digs, then this![emoji23]

D051AFA4-A203-488B-A36F-F1F936CBA754.thumb.jpeg.16066c7ba9780c18309b931442f1c9fa.jpeg

Good on juice, reliable mechanically, compact, nimble, enough ground clearance, can tow over 2 ton in 4x4 variant (dont quote me but i think its 2200kg which is cracking for a small unit) manual or auto options, and no commercial insurance or tax. Good shout i rekon.

• Like 2

Must admit my dad offered me his dacia duster, its a cracking wee motor and 4x4.

He does alot of miles owing a quad with it, think this is his 2nd or 3rd now, cheapish to run and fairly good on fuel.

Would of been a real good buy for me but just the rear windows put me off

Before them we ( dad and brother) ran jimny's for years, god knows how many we'll have had, but for years and years u could buy a pre registered jimny for under 7k, my last 1 was a new 54 plate.

A few years after that they jumped up massively in price

On 30/05/2022 at 23:08, drinksloe said:

Doing well to get 4 men in a jimny never mind any gear. When i ran a jimny i usually took the back seet out to get some room, but savage on petrol, tiny tanks, only got about 200 odd miles to a tank

Same with my vitara. no room for more than me and my kit, still have back seats, down for the dogs. Zero security as it is a convertible. Yes 200 mile range and only 30mpg

The Freelander 2 might be worth a punt (don't go near a Mk 1 though - piece of the proverbial) - they can be had for a couple of grand upwards and many have enjoyed a relatively sedate life.  Plenty of space for people and gear, and not too thirsty - compared to their larger sibings anyhow.  Seem to last better than the Disco 2 also.

• Like 1