Van or car in forestry

Donnie

Worked in forestry a few years now and managed with a estate car for many years, then I got offered a cheap L200 pick up, this made a big difference to where we could go and the time and effort it saved carrying stuff was unreal, there has been days during the winter that we have gone working and got up hills on to sites when the forest roads have had several inches of snow on them and we got there in a 4x4 but a 2wd estate or van we would of been going home and not working, I now would not go back to the estate car or 2wd and its as the saying goes , action speaks louder than words, I once asked a old farmer on his views on 2wd tractors v 4wd tractors and is answer was , one of them your going the other you not,,, very true that,

• Like 3

8 hours ago, Doug Tait said:

No, follow your heart mate. Don't let Logan destroy the dream, go to the woods and find out for yourself, in a few months when you come back to be a tree surgeon there'll still be plenty cake and adulation for you but you'll appreciate it more!

We were thinking of a rec climb next weekend if you're free, I'll let you know.

Crucially your stumps will be low ! 🙂

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Stubby said:

Crucially your stumps will be low ! 🙂

We'll soon knock that habit out of him, a reasonably high stump is a must to put the tray of refreshments on, it's on the RA to mitigate risk of back injury while taking another slice of Victoria sponge!

• Like 2
  • Haha 7

I used to have a 4x4 Octavia, that combined with high miles and being dirt cheap meant it seemed to go many places with only a tendency to tear the flexi for the full rally experience.

Don't get the petrol 1.8t, it was less fuel efficient than the Porsche 944 we had.

In seriousness, cars are easier to get hold of, nicer to drive, generally had an easier life and easy to insure.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, spuddog0507 said:

Worked in forestry a few years now and managed with a estate car for many years, then I got offered a cheap L200 pick up, this made a big difference to where we could go and the time and effort it saved carrying stuff was unreal, there has been days during the winter that we have gone working and got up hills on to sites when the forest roads have had several inches of snow on them and we got there in a 4x4 but a 2wd estate or van we would of been going home and not working, I now would not go back to the estate car or 2wd and its as the saying goes , action speaks louder than words, I once asked a old farmer on his views on 2wd tractors v 4wd tractors and is answer was , one of them your going the other you not,,, very true that,

On the flip side, you needed to work those days in the cold wet snow to help pay for the higher costs of running a pickup 😆 

• Haha 3

1 hour ago, josharb87 said:

On the flip side, you needed to work those days in the cold wet snow to help pay for the higher costs of running a pickup 😆 

Then on the other side, i dont mind doing a odd day or two, as you say, in the cold wet snow if it allows me to be on holiday from May till October spending my time doing a bit of fishing, shooting and dog training or in other words doing what i want to do,,

• Like 3

On 28/05/2022 at 13:32, jrose said:

Most of the forestry types I know seem to use Suzuki 4x4s, either Jimny or Vitara

As far as I'm aware they're still quite cheap to buy and run, are light weight to get over wet bits and can still be used to carry 4 people if needed

Doing well to get 4 men in a jimny never mind any gear. When i ran a jimny i usually took the back seet out to get some room, but savage on petrol, tiny tanks, only got about 200 odd miles to a tank

The only problem i have with cars is anyone can see wot tackle u have in the back if ur away all day and it is left at the roadside.

Usually my spare saws are worth far more than my van, most days i'll have 5 or 6 saws in my van.

If u go a car route i'd weld up a metal cage for ur gear in the back.

Back in the day a lot of old wood cutters ran clapped out old bangers.

Even driving at sensible speeds big miles on forest roads ****************s motors even newer motors, sometimes ur as well with older stuff and just keep it 2 or 3 years instead of keeping a newer van longer 

I've got both a wee kangoo van ( but had combi's and berlingo's in past) and a pick up which i use for my dogs and work if i need to tow a trailer.

The pick up rarely moves, esp now with the price of fuel, my wee van used to be 50 quid to fill now 90, dread to think wot the pick up is now must be 150+.

On comeercial forest sites its pretty rare that a pick up will get u any closer to ur work site/trees, usually ground so ruff/rutted 4x4 would make no difference.

Can be different on estate woodland work where u might be able to drive down a field or along a muddy track that is not designed for hgv's.

Most forset tracks are pretty good now and it is generally quite rare for the forwarders to travel on the roads now, they were murder in the past thou, but if they do u just have to drive sensibily and ave a decent set of off road or winter tyres on ur van. A wee van with winter tyres can go some queer places, sometimes almost as far as a big heavy 4x4 with slick road tyres on

My Shogun cost my £140 to fill recently 🤦🏻‍♂️ 

There are some very valid point raised here for sure. The cost of secondhand vehicles both commercial and non, have gone up a lot. A bargain can be had (relatively speaking) if you are lucky, but be prepared to pay for something you really want. Jimny prices have soared too! 

Security is a very important point. The windows in my Shogun are tinted dark but can still be sent through. I have built a Heath Robinson storage system out of ply and MDF, but it is due a replacement now as it's lasted 3 years. My plan was to fold down or even entirely remove 2 of the rear seats and extend the boot as such. I'll leave one seat free incase I need to move people. 

I think if you generally work in the woods, away from prying eyes, you can be reasonably safe. It's the trips into urban areas with the thieving twunts you have to be cautious of.

Getting something with 4x4 capabilities will no doubt be a bonus, but a lightweight smaller van with decent tyres can often be manoeuvred well on rough terrain (driver skill level dependent).