Van or car in forestry

Donnie

5 hours ago, jrose said:

Most of the forestry types I know seem to use Suzuki 4x4s, either Jimny or Vitara

As far as I'm aware they're still quite cheap to buy and run, are light weight to get over wet bits and can still be used to carry 4 people if needed

This was an option I'm considering as well. Either that or just an older Fiesta for the first little while that will take dogs abuse (they have done in the past) until I make up my mind. Would love a pick up just costly. Maybe one day...

6 hours ago, doobin said:

If you are looking at a car derived van, just get a car! Apart from anything else, you pay the car tax rate (often zero for an 'eco' model rather than full whack £245 a year for the same thing without windows.

That's genuinely the main reason I'm making this topic mate. It's crazy. 

Bear in mind too that insurance companies will usually class a van or pickup as a "commercial vehicle" which won't allow you to use existing no claims on it. 

Is it going to also be your primary vehicle outside of work?

I'd be looking at something like a Disco 2. Good offroad and good workhorse, still a decent comfy car and can be had quite cheap.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moose McAlpine said:

Bear in mind too that insurance companies will usually class a van or pickup as a "commercial vehicle" which won't allow you to use existing no claims on it. 

Is it going to also be your primary vehicle outside of work?

I'd be looking at something like a Disco 2. Good offroad and good workhorse, still a decent comfy car and can be had quite cheap.

Yeah this will be my own vehicle outside of work. I do have an MG ZS as well for the family etc. 

Also been thinking of a MK3 Ranger as they are apparently bulletproof but they just guzzle diesel haha. 

I fully expect to be working miles away though so I think a car might be best and convert it into a van. 

Edited by JDon

8 minutes ago, JDon said:

Yeah this will be my own vehicle outside of work. I do have an MG ZS as well for the family etc. 

Also been thinking of a MK3 Ranger as they are apparently bulletproof but they just guzzle diesel haha. 

I fully expect to be working miles away though so I think a car might be best and convert it into a van. 

Early starts,long drives on your own and hard work can be a recipe for disaster.

Funnily enough JDon, we were in softwood windblow on Friday pulling out selected stuff to mill for the new shed at the yard.

If you'd been out with us you'd have heard Logan muttering all the reasons he's glad to be out of the woods now!

Remember there'll be no tea and cake in the Vicar's garden, no customer bringing you award winning pies from the butcher in Selkirk, no soup and rolls while working at Hotels, no tips from the big posh houses in the countryside, no ladies taking vids of your awesomeness for insta...

• Haha 2

36 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Funnily enough JDon, we were in softwood windblow on Friday pulling out selected stuff to mill for the new shed at the yard.

If you'd been out with us you'd have heard Logan muttering all the reasons he's glad to be out of the woods now!

Remember there'll be no tea and cake in the Vicar's garden, no customer bringing you award winning pies from the butcher in Selkirk, no soup and rolls while working at Hotels, no tips from the big posh houses in the countryside, no ladies taking vids of your awesomeness for insta...

If that's the case then I'm out! 😂

• Haha 1

9 minutes ago, JDon said:

If that's the case then I'm out! 😂

No, follow your heart mate. Don't let Logan destroy the dream, go to the woods and find out for yourself, in a few months when you come back to be a tree surgeon there'll still be plenty cake and adulation for you but you'll appreciate it more!

We were thinking of a rec climb next weekend if you're free, I'll let you know.

• Like 2

A car will be fine and get you up most proper forest roads unless the forwarder has been running on the road 🤦‍♂️. Stick a set of higher profile winter tyres on and make a sump guard for it if you find it's too low 👍

• Like 1