Do any of you dry logs in containers made of Weldmesh Panels?

cessna

I am wondering if I make some crates  made out of 4, 8ft x 4ft  Weldmesh panels ,secured together ,(standing  on end) ,and fill them with 9" logs , will the logs dryout quite quickly  from the beginning of June  till the beginning of October. The crates would be out side supported on pallets and covered with a tarp. A bit basic I know,and also very dependent on the summer weather!!!!  Negative or positive thoughts appreciated. 

9 hours ago, cessna said:

I am wondering if I make some crates  made out of 4, 8ft x 4ft  Weldmesh panels ,secured together ,(standing  on end) ,and fill them with 9" logs , will the logs dryout quite quickly  from the beginning of June  till the beginning of October. The crates would be out side supported on pallets and covered with a tarp. A bit basic I know,and also very dependent on the summer weather!!!!  Negative or positive thoughts appreciated. 

Do you mean rebar sheets?  Yes, I did it once and it worked really well.  Remember that access to the logs isn't easy unless you want them all in one go; then you just untie one end or side and let them collapse in a heap.  I went the awkward route and made a removeable end so the cage became walk-in.  That needed a lot of cross ties to allow for an end being removed without the whole thing collapsing

• Like 1

9 hours ago, cessna said:

If you're going to have pallets to hand, just bookend your stack at the ends with another pallet. Then just screw down with some decking screws through some wriggly tin on the top and that will brace it up. Can stick a few short cross braces of scrap wood on at an angle if needed. Works well for me.

This way you don't need to alternate log direction at the ends - just stack them all the same. Makes it a bit quicker.

If you keep it to a couple of pallets length at a time, you can just unscrew the roof and pull the logs out.

I actually use weldmesh for kindling but just take it off a roll. It wants to stay curved so I just form a huge cylinder with it and cable tie to stop it unwinding. Tin on the top and cut a small door in the bottom. Wet goes in the top, dry out the bottom. Sits on a big pallet.

This isn't a commercial set up really as I mostly burn it all myself but probably around 40-50 cube lying about.

Edited by Puffingbilly413

6 hours ago, doobin said:

I’ll let you know in a few months? Done a couple for customers recently, the theory is sound. More airflow than just in a pile. 

043208BE-11D2-4F14-8E84-918F223064A2.jpeg

Isn't that just a " pile " with Herras fencing round it ?