Whats the most versatile firewood processor?

Woodworks

I have been running a Farmi WP 36 since I started doing logs and its great. One of the appealing things about it is being self powered with the little Honda engine. At long last we have the chance to have 3 phase on the farm and and electric processor appeals and might open up options on other processors. I will always need to cut small diameter wood but it would be nice to be able to handle slightly larger wood than my little Farmi can handle. I dont want to be running a tractor just to run the processor and dont really have space for multiple processors

Whats everyones thoughts on 

A. Electric processors

B. The most versatile processor

Thanks

I think the WP36 is very versatile. You can do up to about 15" & bigger rings if pre cut.

Great on thin, short or bent stuff. Especially if you have a deck or the lifter.

The new joystick version should be less of a workout.

Its hard to have a machine that does it all.

Ones that do big stuff are not fast on small stuff.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Justme said:

I think the WP36 is very versatile. You can do up to about 15" & bigger rings if pre cut.

Great on thin, short or bent stuff. Especially if you have a deck or the lifter.

The new joystick version should be less of a workout.

Its hard to have a machine that does it all.

Ones that do big stuff are not fast on small stuff.

So how does it compare with the processor you have rigged up on the trailer? Sorry cant remember what one you have now

Why not speak with the dealer about adding a secondary electric motor to your existing setup?. It’s pretty common to have PTO & electric on the larger processors, keeps costs down and makes your current one a bit more versatile.

I do have a big electric processor and generator, as “Justme” says they are a bit slow and steady when working and physically just very large and space hungry.

For 90% of the time I just use the chainsaw and hydraulic splitter, I do like the auto splitter on the processor and might just sell the processor and buy the LD-45 splitter on its own as it would be a shame to cut it apart.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, GarethM said:

Why not speak with the dealer about adding a secondary electric motor to your existing setup?.

Thanks.

Already in the process of getting a price on that. The equipment from Farmi is around  3K but that does not including fitting

3k sounds a bit stiff for an electric motor and gearbox, but then again it might be a kit supplied directly from Finland which would help the resale value.

If it’s not supplied from the manufacturer I’d be tempted to do a bit of reverse engineering and speak to someone like Flowfit, might be around 1500 Inc Vat for something you can bolt the engine on and off and return it to as it was manufactured in the event of a sale.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Woodworks said:

So how does it compare with the processor you have rigged up on the trailer? Sorry cant remember what one you have now

The wp36 is better for short bits, very bent stuff, thin stuff & rings.

BUT its very physical.

The Dunn 420 is better for bigger stuff, faster on good wood & much less manual work.

Having the deck & log crane are game changers.

We have now made a smaller deck for bits that have been cut to hand ball lengths so thats tilting the balance back.

• Like 1