Forklifts using 50% more clear diesel than they did on red?

difflock

Per the cousin, the factory where he works(this 40+ years) runs a fleet of forklifts, mostly all Toyota on propane, but the 3 outside trucks were diesels, running on red, since whenever, they dutifully switched to clear and the 2 fills a week became insufficient, they were/are requiring a 3rd fill of clear(not a full fill, only a top-up) they then  switched back to red, and went back to 2 fills "just like that".

Theft was obviously suspected, but a high quality and well monitered CCTV system  everywhere, and particularily at the diesel fill station.

And the work load has not changed, nor the forklift drivers.

They also run their own lorries so are used to monitering diesel consumption.

Allan admits to being perplexed because it does not make sense.

Thoughts?

Marcus

Pump white is now B7, that is up to 7% biodiesel. Can't immediately see how that would increase consumption 50%.

To be honest I don't really follow how going from 5 to 10 % ethanol will make a noticeable difference either, but I don't regularly drive a petrol car any more so no direct experience.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

Pump white is now B7, that is up to 7% biodiesel. Can't immediately see how that would increase consumption 50%.

To be honest I don't really follow how going from 5 to 10 % ethanol will make a noticeable difference either, but I don't regularly drive a petrol car any more so no direct experience.

To right as red has greater Bio in it up to 12%.

Thanks guys.

I can only relate what I was told, and even Allan admitted that it was head scratching perplexing. 

I must however think to ask is there a difference in the dispensing nozzle.

Like, could be the clear nozzle is longer, or cuts out sooner.

So there is simply less diesel in the tank?

Marcus

• Like 1

6 hours ago, difflock said:

they dutifully switched to clear and the 2 fills a week became insufficient, they were/are requiring a 3rd fill of clear(not a full fill, only a top-up) they then  switched back to red, and went back to 2 fills "just like that".

I wonder just how well the cameras monitor activity.

We had a chap at work whose fuel consumption was noticeably worse than it should have been and his wife's car (same make and model SUV) had scratches around the fuel filler. Tyres didn't last him long either.

• Like 3

I had heard rumours on the internet that the uk red diesel is imported from Russia already dyed.

Maybe the Russians just can't be bothered adding bio oils to it, would account for why you use less red than white ?.

I know you can check the ethanol content of petrol using water, not sure about of it's possible with diesel ?.