Verge tree ownership

Mark Bolam

32 minutes ago, Mark Bolam said:

The way Ashford Borough Council operate mate it would probably be some ‘operatives’ with hand saws and the village would be bolloxed for half a day.

Let them get on with it that is what you pay council tax for. 

12 hours ago, Paul in the woods said:

On the other hand, if you had asked the land owner guy who owns the tree as it's worth £2k these days for firewood he may have claimed ownership...

I know a landowner like that, denies owning land if there's a bill to be paid, but will claim anything if he thinks it's worth something :ph34r:

Had a meeting with someone from the county highway dept about a dangerous tree growing on verge of a minor country road and was told that the county managed the surface between the boundary wall and fences on each side of the road but they did not own the land below it and that the tree in question was not there responsibility unless they had planted it which they hadn't. Another time a similar situation arose with a dangerous tree on a verge of a country minor road was brought to the attention of the land agent and he said it was not always the case that you owned land up to the centre of the road as depended on what was actually shown as being owned, after doing a search he came back and informed me that in this particular instance the tree was not their responsibility and no action would be required by them ... so as Jon Heigh says "it depends". I suspect that the rule about ownership to the centre of the road is a common law thing if nothing else, in the case of trees which haven't been planted but which have grown as a result of natural regeneration they maybe the highways responsibility if they manage the surface. The highways dept in areas I have lived clear trees which fall onto the roads regardless unless someone else deals with them first.

• Like 1

Not a road verge but a patch of land we dealt with years ago. The land was a triangular shaped bit of land in the back corner of this chaps garden who lives a couple of roads away from me. The area was completely overgrown with bramble, a few Young ash and some other crap. Also a few bits of junk like and old bike and the of can of piss and shoes etc.
Anyway the guy spoke to the council and asked them to clear it because it was attracting more and more rubbish and the council told him it was his land and even sent through a photo showing where they boundary ended and his began.

He got us in to clear the green and grind all the stumps out. Then he got a small skip in to clear away the rest of it away, dug it all over and put turf down. The area was about 5m by 8m by 8m so not a bad space and he did a really good job of it including extended his fence out around the new patch of his garden.

Anyway I noticed a load of Harris fencing piled up in there and next time I saw him as I walked past I asked what he was doing with it all. He said some council lot pilled them in there and he told them to stop as there were doing it but they had been told to put it there by the council for some works they were doing up the road. Anyway he was straight on the phone to the council who said they had made a mistake and emailed a different photo through with a different line drawn on it.
I told him to take it to court which he did but I never found out the outcome of the case but he said he was going to sue the ass of them for s*****g all over his dreams.

I couldn’t believe the audacity of the people involved with this at the council but it goes to show they don’t want something until it be if it’s them.

• Like 4

On 23/05/2022 at 21:21, Thesnarlingbadger said:

Not a road verge but a patch of land we dealt with years ago. The land was a triangular shaped bit of land in the back corner of this chaps garden who lives a couple of roads away from me. The area was completely overgrown with bramble, a few Young ash and some other crap. Also a few bits of junk like and old bike and the of can of piss and shoes etc.
Anyway the guy spoke to the council and asked them to clear it because it was attracting more and more rubbish and the council told him it was his land and even sent through a photo showing where they boundary ended and his began.

He got us in to clear the green and grind all the stumps out. Then he got a small skip in to clear away the rest of it away, dug it all over and put turf down. The area was about 5m by 8m by 8m so not a bad space and he did a really good job of it including extended his fence out around the new patch of his garden.

Anyway I noticed a load of Harris fencing piled up in there and next time I saw him as I walked past I asked what he was doing with it all. He said some council lot pilled them in there and he told them to stop as there were doing it but they had been told to put it there by the council for some works they were doing up the road. Anyway he was straight on the phone to the council who said they had made a mistake and emailed a different photo through with a different line drawn on it.
I told him to take it to court which he did but I never found out the outcome of the case but he said he was going to sue the ass of them for s*****g all over his dreams.

I couldn’t believe the audacity of the people involved with this at the council but it goes to show they don’t want something until it be if it’s them.

I was involved with a bloke that was arguing about planning and permitted development rights to do with his house. You can build various things i will not go into using a certain percentage of the "curtilage" of the house. Now, some years previously they had sent him a map with this curtilage outlined in red. Now though, they tried to say this was a mistake and they had drawn the red line in the wrong place. So, it is established fact that a council will say what suits them at the time.

As regards the verge i would say that UNLESS it is the case that land was subject to a compulsory purchase, such as when building a motorway or the like, then the landowner owns the land up to the centre of the road. A search of the land registry will sort it out..

8 hours ago, john87 said:

I was involved with a bloke that was arguing about planning and permitted development rights to do with his house. You can build various things i will not go into using a certain percentage of the "curtilage" of the house. Now, some years previously they had sent him a map with this curtilage outlined in red. Now though, they tried to say this was a mistake and they had drawn the red line in the wrong place. So, it is established fact that a council will say what suits them at the time.

As regards the verge i would say that UNLESS it is the case that land was subject to a compulsory purchase, such as when building a motorway or the like, then the landowner owns the land up to the centre of the road. A search of the land registry will sort it out..

Conversely my  neighbor  planted a tree on the grass in front of his house . After several years it got too big . He was gonna get it removed and the council told him he could not as it was now theirs , even though he planted it . 

• Like 1