Climbing gear and the weather

herco

51 minutes ago, htb said:

Amazing how quick a thread can spiral downwards.

Yes but some of it may have started from english not being a native language of one of the protagonists, even the british standard he posted defined kernmantel as being different from most modern arb ropes.

I too will leave it at that.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

Insulting Mothers, YA it's not infantile, REAL GIRL tactics! 

It is infantile. That was my point. So is suggesting that someone from the internet met you to settle your differences the "old fashioned way"

Never mind. It's not funny when you have to explain it.

2 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes but some of it may have started from english not being a native language of one of the protagonists, even the british standard he posted defined kernmantel as being different from most modern arb ropes.

I too will leave it at that.

I usually always apologise, for my bad English, but, if you have a little bit of intelligence, you will understand what I'm saying, isn't? 

1 hour ago, Sviatoslav Tulin said:

Things going better and better, where we meet to resolve that argument? 

Be careful! Steve does Muay Thai... I heard back in the day, they called him "Raging Bull-Man"😳 

Sorry, my little joke a bit late to the party....

With regard to ropes in trees, there a YouTube vid of a guy doing a break test on a polyester clime line that was stuck in a tree for 19 YEARS. It failed at just under it's rated brand new strength.

Edited by Haironyourchest
  • Haha 1

43 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Be careful! Steve does Muay Thai... I heard back in the day, they called him "Raging Bull-Man"😳 

Sorry, my little joke a bit late to the party....

With regard to ropes in trees, there a YouTube vid of a guy doing a break test on a polyester clime line that was stuck in a tree for 19 YEARS. It failed at just under it's rated brand new strength.

Holy Moly didn't know about Muay Thai, will take few karate lesson before debates, I hope it will be peaceful. 

My last post in the subject, from someone who knows far more than me in the subject and probably most on the forum 

You are right in referencing EN1891 which provides a definition of low stretch kernmantle rope (fundamentally any rope that has a core and a cover) hence the name kern (core) mantle (cover) like a mantlepiece around a fire. Traditionalists will generally cite a true ‘kernmantle’ has a load bearing core with parallel core strands, Yale XTC as an example whilst generally is a kernmantle rope, the core strands are twisted. As you know typically arb rope constructions 16, 24, 32 strand ropes are core and cover (kernmantle) they may be single braid or double braid construction and the load bearing characteristics are generally 30% core, 70% cover with single braids and 50:50 with double braids. I say those are general as the ratios applied by manufacturers for different rope constructions does vary. 

• Like 3

Back to the original post -

Does weathering affect the integrity of a climb line? Here's the video of the break test of 19 year old rope. He starts with a piece of relatively new rope, and the old rope and the history of it, behind at about the 50 second mark. It was hanging in a rainforest canopy for 17 years, then in storage for 2 years. He breaks it in different configurations.

17 years in a rainforest canopy vs 17 years in the desert sun is obviously apples vs bananas. But one would assume a UK canopy in winter wouldn't be much more UV than a rainforest canopy.

Whether we believe this guy is another matter. Personally I see nothing in his chanel that would make me doubt his honesty.

Edited by Haironyourchest
Technical glitch