Do you do pre or post climbing stretches?

KateH

Do you do pre or post climbing stretches?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. Do you stretch before or after you climb?

• No, never
    • Yes, sometimes
    • Yes, always

I don’t generally stretch before climbing but have done it in the past on some bigger trees that I knew I would be up for a while. Personally I have never found any benefit to this and if I’m going to cramp up I’m going to cramp up. I get it in my hamstrings, hands, fore arms and feet regularly but generally this happens after a days work when I sit down. Stretching has had no real difference but coconut water helps. If it’s a hot day I will drink a bottom of it plus about 5 or so litres of water. And if it a really hot day maybe twice this and that seems to do the job.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Gardenscape said:

You never stretch before exercise because you are stretching cold muscles and are more likely to cause injury. Stretch after if you want to stretch.

This is a good point, back in my younger days when I was rowing we would do a warm-up run, then stretch, then row, then stretch.

I reckon normally all the loading up, going to site and setting up is what we usually do as a warmup. A few years ago in the lull after Christmas I decided good time to prune my own trees, walked out the door and climbed straight up the tree, pulled a shoulder muscle.

• Like 2

I have always found the best form of warm up is sport specific.  So I just climb and take it easy for the first bit.

Once a throw line and line are installed you have generally carted a load of stuff to the tree, all potentially part of a warm up.

If I have a niggle, either from work or hobbies, I might stretch a bit.  When the back hurts I bust out a foam roller when I get home.

I have had a hand injury the last year so have been doing a fair bit of stretching for the rehab but as a general rule I tend not to stretch before a climb.