Grinder wheel for stump grinder teeth on site

swinny

Im just wondering what grinder wheel people use to tickle up teeth when on site with a 4 1/2" grinder? and if so where you got from? 

Im using multitip at the moment and would be nice to try tickle them up on site rather than just swap them out all the time. I hope its worth while lol 

Many thanks

6 minutes ago, Johny Walker said:

i wouldnt bother lifes too short & the lenth of time it takes better just move them around the wheell till ther fked 

Once you start hitting crap with them they soon wear their edge and pissing in the wind. 28 quid for the lead cutters, not like greens or yellow jackets and a quick turn or cheaper teeth (albeit more of them)

8 minutes ago, swinny said:

Once you start hitting crap with them they soon wear their edge and pissing in the wind. 28 quid for the lead cutters, not like greens or yellow jackets and a quick turn or cheaper teeth (albeit more of them)

green wheel it is then😎

1 hour ago, swinny said:

With limited experience, spread over 45 years with stump grinders and mulchers IMO it depends on weight and horsepower, if you have both of those you just carry on until all the TCT is worn off the tooth and then change it quickly, else the steel wears down fast and damage to the wheel or carrier occurs. Small petrol pedestrian machines cut faster with sharp teeth and once blunt cannot be forced into the cut. Very blunt teeth take far too long to sharpen and are not worth the effort, so I have sharpened teeth from a Dosko off the machine when they are just dull, with a bench grinder outside and  enclosed in a container with a vaccuum  cleaner running with a HEPA filter and just a small part of the wheel  exposed to the tooth. The cheap chinese grinder still has its original teeth and I dress them with a diamond disc in a cordless angle grinder on the wheel after each stump, only run about 10 hours so far. The diamond wheel I use is not rated for the grinder speed.

• Like 1

I'd look into investing in the revolution razor wheel bud, they grind so well even when dulled. I came across this old iron fence in a stump and it just kept grinding, I've chipped a couple of teeth in the past but it still grinds. Genuine teeth are £14 ish each and it has 24 but because of the layout you can swop teeth from the side into the middle. QRMS are going to be making replacement teeth for about £5 I'm told.

IMG_1652852056.945384.jpg

8 hours ago, openspaceman said:

With limited experience, spread over 45 years with stump grinders and mulchers IMO it depends on weight and horsepower, if you have both of those you just carry on until all the TCT is worn off the tooth and then change it quickly, else the steel wears down fast and damage to the wheel or carrier occurs. Small petrol pedestrian machines cut faster with sharp teeth and once blunt cannot be forced into the cut. Very blunt teeth take far too long to sharpen and are not worth the effort, so I have sharpened teeth from a Dosko off the machine when they are just dull, with a bench grinder outside and  enclosed in a container with a vaccuum  cleaner running with a HEPA filter and just a small part of the wheel  exposed to the tooth. The cheap chinese grinder still has its original teeth and I dress them with a diamond disc in a cordless angle grinder on the wheel after each stump, only run about 10 hours so far. The diamond wheel I use is not rated for the grinder speed.

I came in here to suggest that whatever disc people used, a cordless grinder with speed control is worth its weight in gold when you are working in and under things (such as teeth on grinder) where kickback has you right in the line of fire. 

I have a Makita brushless with speed control. If Milwaukee do one I’d go with that- they are outclassing makita in the cordless grinder stakes currently. 

10 minutes ago, aspenarb said:

Those diamond encrusted discs are really good if teeth are buffed up little and often, too slow if the teeth have gone untouched for a week.

Bob

Is that the secret?

I find them useless, hardly affect the teeth at all, gave up on them.

• Like 1