An apple a day keeps the doctor away...

peds

So here's a question. Will a ferret go after chickens, chicks, or eggs, when kept free range, and can a ferret itself be kept free range, for round-the-clock rat protection? How devastating are they to other, more desirable wildlife? 

I wouldn't be at all averse to including ferrets in my menagerie if they fill the niche.

Guest Gimlet
10 hours ago, peds said:

So here's a question. Will a ferret go after chickens, chicks, or eggs, when kept free range, and can a ferret itself be kept free range, for round-the-clock rat protection? How devastating are they to other, more desirable wildlife? 

I wouldn't be at all averse to including ferrets in my menagerie if they fill the niche.

You won't be able to hang on to a ferret that's free range. It'll wander off, get lost and disappear. 

They will eat eggs, most certainly chicks and will have a go at a chicken as well if they're hungry. Mine would turn their nose up at any bird meat, but only because they were used to a diet of rabbit and got fussy. If they're hungry they'll eat anything.

I used to give mine the odd egg in the spring when they would form part of their natural diet. They can struggle to get into a chicken's egg but they know what it is and what to do with it. Bird life is probably most at risk from a feral ferret. They're not skilled climbers like martens but they'll have a go and will definitely eat small bird's eggs and chicks if they can reach them. They will kill rats and mice as well, but also desirable rodents like dormice. A feral ferret is indiscriminate and quite destructive and will probably do more harm than good.

They will kill rats and will instinctively go after them but the rat will fight back and there's a good chance of the ferret getting infected from a rat bite or catching some disease. It's not a good idea to let ferrets hunt rats. You're better off sticking to rabbiting with the ferrets and getting a Jack Russel for rats.

That answers that question then. I'll stick to cats for now, but I do intend to bring a Jack Russell or similar on board in the future to take over the ratting. I put a bell on the male of my two housecats for a while because he seemed to be bringing home more birds than rats, but it's not ideal.

I'll be farming rabbits (for dog meat) one day too, so unless I do a really bad job of it and they all escape, I shouldn't expect to need ferrets for that either.

Interesting to think about though, thanks for the suggestion. 

Very interesting. There is a small population of wild rabbits up on the hill behind our future house, and I'd like to try and encourage their numbers however I can. It's common ground up on the mountain, but I'm not sure how the neighbouring sheep farmers would feel about that.

I've seen things like old kids' sandpits, upturned and buried with wide drainpipes leading into them, as ad-hoc warrens.

I think 2 rabbits per dog per week is a good target, plus a few eggs as necessary for calories and fat.

7 hours ago, Gimlet said:

You could always do it the old fashioned way...

https://www.amusingplanet.com/2020/08/medieval-rabbit-warrens.html

I did a few Winters clearing regen off the heathland on the Ashdown Forest in East Sussex. There where several of these man made warrens still present, they are larger than you might expect and must have taken a fair while to complete, attributed to 11th century  Normans.

• Like 1