Stumpgrinding costs

doobin

4 council pops we removed over the Winter.

I ground them out this afternoon.

I waited until conditions were dry as the wee grinder struggles on wet clay with wood fibres.

Pretty soft wood with decent top soil but the final rootplate chase was costly in teeth.

One broke head and two faces on the leads well battered.

Alot of quartz below that good loam.

Recently I've been pricing in a turn a set per hour when calculating stumps.

In 2010 I bought a Bandit HB20 and often got 2 hours from the 4 pairs of Greenteeth but FSI runs 2 pairs as lead teeth so the comparison is subjective, never the less, I feel that Greenteeth and the QRMS copies do not seem to be as durable as once they were.

Bearings changed at 130 ish hours.

Still smooth, just worn and causing hand killer vibrations.

The new FSI B21 promises 1000 hours from non-greasable bearings...

Still on the same drive belt at 150+ hours

Clutch springs replaced, 3 inc. postage €55 plus tva

Low running costs, alot of effort but a very reliable and profitable machine.

IMG_20220520_132221.jpg

IMG_20220520_182040.jpg

4 council pops we removed over the Winter.
I ground them out this afternoon.
I waited until conditions were dry as the wee grinder struggles on wet clay with wood fibres.
Pretty soft wood with decent top soil but the final rootplate chase was costly in teeth.
One broke head and two faces on the leads well battered.
Alot of quartz below that good loam.
Recently I've been pricing in a turn a set per hour when calculating stumps.
In 2010 I bought a Bandit HB20 and often got 2 hours from the 4 pairs of Greenteeth but FSI runs 2 pairs as lead teeth so the comparison is subjective, never the less, I feel that Greenteeth and the QRMS copies do not seem to be as durable as once they were.
Bearings changed at 130 ish hours.
Still smooth, just worn and causing hand killer vibrations.
The new FSI B21 promises 1000 hours from non-greasable bearings...
Still on the same drive belt at 150+ hours
Clutch springs replaced, 3 inc. postage €55 plus tva
Low running costs, alot of effort but a very reliable and profitable machine.

IMG_20220520_132221.thumb.jpg.9913fbf62bcc116820af78ffe5bf3115.jpg
IMG_20220520_182040.thumb.jpg.a49a067489224b49c72d33e21bdbd9f6.jpg

Which Greenteeth are you using as there are different types. The standard I found are tougher than the wear sharp. Might be worth looking into....I had problems with the wear sharp breaking all the time. That's why when I got my new grinder I moved away from green teeth to razor teeth.
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, Hodge said:

Which Greenteeth are you using as there are different types. The standard I found are tougher than the wear sharp. Might be worth looking into....I had problems with the wear sharp breaking all the time. That's why when I got my new grinder I moved away from green teeth to razor teeth.

I've QRMS and some Wear Sharp which are a bit pants and yes are the ones breaking.

I really wanted Red Teeth to use on larger stumps.

• Like 1

I've QRMS and some Wear Sharp which are a bit pants and yes are the ones breaking.
I really wanted Red Teeth to use on larger stumps.

Yes it's the reds I used to use and they were a lot harder wearing.

GreethTeeth are the round ones, right? What are Razor Teeth?

Razor teeth are on the revolution wheel made by Bandit, they are very similar to the Sandvik. They are usually on bigger machines but you can get them on 27hp machines now, mine is on my SG40 Bandit.

• Like 1

Razor teeth are on the revolution wheel made by Bandit, they are very similar to the Sandvik. They are usually on bigger machines but you can get them on 27hp machines now, mine is on my SG40 Bandit.

What you think of the bandit Paul?

What you think of the bandit Paul?

I'm happy with it Ian, it has a couple of points that could do with improving but overall I think it's great.
The grinding depth could be lower but with a bit of manoeuvring you can get it deeper and it would be good if the cutter arm folded up vertically like the Jo Beau. With the razor wheel it cuts so well, far better than green teeth in my opinion.
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, Hodge said:

The Revolution wheel looks like this, right? 

That’s very similar, with the same teeth, as the wheel on the PTO grinder I have.  I thought it cut well!

Edited by doobin
  • Like 1