New project, can’t cut straight lines!

Steve Bullman

Danish oil will be fine and a light coating of wax if required 

You might might want to re tension the wires on your fence Leslie….. they appear to be sagging more and more of late! [emoji849][emoji849]
  • Like 1

I can cut a straight line with a chainsaw no probs, just not with anything else!

How long between oiling and waxing did you leave it Steve?
Reason i ask is, I used/fitted MDF Oak as my window sills when i did the house up, finished with bull nose trims tacked on to front and sides that were left exposed, the used bri wax to finish with the aid of a blow torch. By using the blow torch very delicately i’d apply a liberal amount of wax to the surface (light oak) then flash over with the torch, the wax when heated would seep in to the grain (you can see this happen pretty much instantly) once in the grain i would pull the torch away and buff the wax up with a cloth till it became non tacky and smooth to the touch. If you left the torch on too long then it would scorch obviously, so was all about the timing. The finish is ace, perfect match with my upvc golden oak frames, but it only lasts about 12 months before it starts to go dull again. I have repeated the process each year but becomes harder and harder to get the original finish. I’m wondering if a total strip back and oil, then a re wax may have a better longer lasting effect 🤷‍♂️ trial and error will bring the results i guess.