Best electric chainsaw?

rodp

On 16/05/2022 at 12:38, renewablejohn said:

I have the Oregon electric chainsaw as a yard saw and it has been brilliant. Would call it more of a professional saw as you have the grunt to cut big stuff the same as my Husky. With that in mind you do have to treat with respect like you would do with any saw doing big stuff. Thought the chain was a bit noddy when I bought it and the sharpening tool a gimmick. How wrong could I have been. 2 seconds from unsharp saw to sharp saw why had I spent all that time in the past hand sharpening saws. So impressed I bought the Oregon sharpening conversion kit for my petrol husky. Only criticism  is the tension mechanism which you do not need spanners for and works really well but has a tendency to slacken over time so you need to get into the habit of checking chain tension prior to starting work which should be an automatic process anyway.

I thought the chain was very cool and the sharpening tool an innovation until I used it and realised how wrong i could of been! First one or two goes it's ok and after that all down hill and if you hit something you never get it back to 'truly sharp'. We no longer sell them and unless they were greatly improved... once you have more experience of it and the chain is dull - you go through sharpening process - oh the chain is still dull - go through the sharpening process - still dull... you realise sadly it is more a gimmick.

But it was great to see the new idea - but to my mind it simply does not work. There is as yet no easy way of sharpening chain other than pretty much the old fashioned way.

Ref 'easy tensioners' agreed - why are they on there because personally I find them a PITA. No need and more fiddly than using a scrench - but I guess for homeowners who would not tension the chain otherwise maybe it works 🙄

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Rob D said:

I thought the chain was very cool and the sharpening tool an innovation until I used it and realised how wrong i could of been! First one or two goes it's ok and after that all down hill and if you hit something you never get it back to 'truly sharp'. We no longer sell them and unless they were greatly improved... once you have more experience of it and the chain is dull - you go through sharpening process - oh the chain is still dull - go through the sharpening process - still dull... you realise sadly it is more a gimmick.

But it was great to see the new idea - but to my mind it simply does not work. There is as yet no easy way of sharpening chain other than pretty much the old fashioned way.

Ref 'easy tensioners' agreed - why are they on there because personally I find them a PITA. No need and more fiddly than using a scrench - but I guess for homeowners who would not tension the chain otherwise maybe it works 🙄

Sounds like you have ground the chain down by grinding to long. Only needs a couple of seconds at a time to put the edge back on the chain.  I certainly wont be going back to manual sharpening. Once ground down replace with a new chain which I used to do every year on a nornal chain so no real difference.

11 hours ago, Rob D said:

Ref 'easy tensioners' agreed - why are they on there because personally I find them a PITA.

Friend's next door neighbour was using his saw and I commented that his chain was very slack. His answer was " It can't be it has an auto tensioner". I showed him how it works and he was a bit sheepish.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/05/2022 at 22:51, renewablejohn said:

Sounds like you have ground the chain down by grinding to long. Only needs a couple of seconds at a time to put the edge back on the chain.  I certainly wont be going back to manual sharpening. Once ground down replace with a new chain which I used to do every year on a nornal chain so no real difference.

I think if it works for you it's ideal - it didn't for me after numerous tries and testing - so much so we opted to no longer sell it [feedback on it was also pretty bad].

But as said we can agree on disagreeing and if it works for you all good.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Rob D said:

I think if it works for you it's ideal - it didn't for me after numerous tries and testing - so much so we opted to no longer sell it [feedback on it was also pretty bad].

But as said we can agree on disagreeing and if it works for you all good.

I wasn't convinced by them, I got a Stihl sharpening set years ago and the instructions were to use the round file and sharpen from the underside of the tooth upwards and inwards, from the chain manufacturer on how to sharpen a chainsaw blade, so that is what I do. The chain sharpeners go from top down, the opposite direction, Not sure these will also lower the rakers to match the teeth so eventually you'd have to go and do them manually. However I can see perhaps that in the middle of a job a quick sharpen with one of these might work and work well, but I think you'd still need to do the chain manually next time. Not to be used though for every sharpen, just for a quick fettle as you are working perhaps?

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steven P said:

I wasn't convinced by them, I got a Stihl sharpening set years ago and the instructions were to use the round file and sharpen from the underside of the tooth upwards and inwards, from the chain manufacturer on how to sharpen a chainsaw blade, so that is what I do. The chain sharpeners go from top down, the opposite direction, Not sure these will also lower the rakers to match the teeth so eventually you'd have to go and do them manually. However I can see perhaps that in the middle of a job a quick sharpen with one of these might work and work well, but I think you'd still need to do the chain manually next time. Not to be used though for every sharpen, just for a quick fettle as you are working perhaps?

I wondered how they work for this reason, I think the tooth geometry is completely different so the sharpening can be done from the top, and because it rubs on the way round the sprocket the raker will stick out and have a chance to be lowered to match.

I've not used one but guess it's better than a blunt chain, so for domestic use taking the skill out of sharpening may be worthwhile.

• Like 1

On 04/06/2022 at 14:59, Dan Maynard said:

I wondered how they work for this reason, I think the tooth geometry is completely different so the sharpening can be done from the top, and because it rubs on the way round the sprocket the raker will stick out and have a chance to be lowered to match.

I've not used one but guess it's better than a blunt chain, so for domestic use taking the skill out of sharpening may be worthwhile.

Yep the tooth geometry is completely different to a standard chain - you would ruin a standard chain if you tried to sharpen it with the powersharp system as powersharp sharpens from top down.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/15/2022 at 8:54 PM, Gordon S said:

+1 to the above, the Titan is a really solid choice. Also my 80 year old father has used a McCulloch corded saw for the last 5 years to cut pallets and other shite for firewood. As much of a brand snob as I am I  would love to hate on it but I can't fault it. Plenty of power, always ready, easy to clean up and sharpen. If you can manage the cord the £55 Titan at Screwfix is a winner.

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Shop McCulloch CSE2040S Electric Chain Saw: 2000 W, 16 Inch Bar Length, 1.3 mm Chain Guage, Automatic Oil Pump...

I had never heard of Titan before. Seems like a bit of a high-end name. Thanks.

• Haha 1