Best electric chainsaw?

rodp

One thing thats  missing from corded saws is anti vibe springs.

The makita corded I have isn't bad for vibes but doesn't any springs i don't think, so isn't as  good as most new pro lvl petrol saws vibes wise.

But I expect some  cheapo corded ones might have  alot worse vibes......

Vibration Level  in m/s2

might be listed in the spec details

5 minutes ago, Stere said:

One thing thats  missing from corded saws is anti vibe springs.

The makita corded I have isn't bad for vibes but doesn't any springs i don't think, so isn't as  good as most new pro lvl petrol saws vibes wise.

But I expect some  cheapo corded ones might have  alot worse vibes......

Vibration Level  in m/s2

might be listed in the spec details

Hardly anything on the titan to notice 

41 minutes ago, Stere said:

Well ive noticed the makita has slighlty more vibes than most modern petrol saws with springs.

The virb spec listed on the titan is 6.3m/s

More than most new 60cc saws

Fair enough, I suppose thinking about it everything that has moving parts will have vibration that can be measured and quantified and manufacturers are required supply the m/s squared figure. 

The amplitude of the vibes is probably more important, if that's the right expression.... although frequency must also be an issue.

I'm sure someone else can explain this better than me.

4 hours ago, Gordon S said:

Hi,  my dad had the Florabest corded Chainsaw (he loves a Lidl middle isle bargain!!) 

It had plenty of power and he really liked it, I thought the quick tensioner was a bit weak. It had a good 3 or so years of abuse cutting worktops/nail strewn batons and pallets. It was left in a leaky woodshed all year round and eventually the power cord parted from the body. It was great for the money paid.

Thanks for that, there's one going cheap nearby might be worth a punt then.

1 hour ago, Macpherson said:

Nope...

Must be vibration of the teeth cutting the wood though - its certainly not from the elec motor.

Edited by bmp01

33 minutes ago, Macpherson said:

Fair enough, I suppose thinking about it everything that has moving parts will have vibration that can be measured and quantified and manufacturers are required supply the m/s squared figure. 

The amplitude of the vibes is probably more important, if that's the right expression.... although frequency must also be an issue.

The vibration is triaxial and can be measured using an accelerometer

You can also get tool tags which you stick on the tool then plug into a computer at the end of the shift and they give you an exposure readout. But you have to pay the tag maker for the software license and unless you have several operators its a bit of an outlay.

The manufacturers tool instruction books should give two ratings in m/s squared - one is the vibration of a new saw in factory conditions and the other is the 'k' factor which is the inaccuracy in measurement.

If you are interested in the H&S bit then to get the recommended maximum use time you are supposed to add both figures together and put them in the reckoner spreadsheet which gives you a guide use time to include in a risk assessment. People often overestimate use time which only really counts when you are cutting and getting feedback through your hands as this is when the capilleries and nerves in your fingers are being shaken. But if you use several tools a day all of them supposed to be factored in to the vibration calculation.

The HSE book on vibration requires employers to not expose operatives over the upper limit level, several Councils and housing associations have been prosecuted for exposing their workers to high levels for years made the workers disabled. HAVS when diagnosed is also a RIDDOR reportable.

The only exception in their book called L140 tends to be reactive emergency clearance work but then you would need to offset the over-exposure on that day by not working the following day(s) and it should not be regular event etc.

Its a bit of a minefield for employers to be honest and even safety professionals find it difficult

Vibration levels increase as blades get blunt, moving parts get worn and springs get worn out too so a year old saw will have higher vibration which the instruction book value doesn't really consider.

Having measured people using tools other factors make a huge difference a death gripped tool with locked wrists will cause the user higher exposure and risk damage to upper arms / carpal tunnel etc. I have noticed technique between people on the same tool change the reading by 3.5ms.

The weather and & the effects of cold also make a difference as the blood will retreat making the capilleries and nerves more easily damaged esp. with cumulative exposures. The type of wood being cut can also make a difference to the reading.

Despite their marketing anti-vibration gloves tend to be seen as a bit of a con in H&S and operators feel over protected then end up with a worse exposure than if they didn't use them

In my limited experience good employers often do some form of time management for tools considering the ones in use and conditions and get health surveillance checks for their workers.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, bmp01 said:

Nope...

Must be vibration of the teeth cutting the wood though - its certainly not from the elec motor.

Yep, that's what I thought initially.. I have a cheap Chinese  battery saw branded Greenworks that I bought years ago and it has such a slow chain speed that it does exactly that on small stuff, but what the m/s2 measurement is referring to on electric powered tools is the very slight vibe you can feel on any of them by just holding on and pulling the trigger.

What's measured is the m/s2 acceleration after the change of direction of any oscillation no matter  how small.. so I guess that's how the afore mentioned Makita saw can have a greater vibe value than some petrol saws albeit with a tiny amplitude when compared to an IC engine.

The vibes of electric motors had really never crossed my mind until a few hours ago other than I know that everything that spins gets balanced, but a quick search found this if anyone's interested, cheers.

I know it's from Canada but wtf,

How can you measure vibration? Are there methods for controlling exposure to vibration? What are some examples...