Best electric chainsaw?

rodp

Titan for me also. If you can wait they will be on offer at some point but I don’t know when that would be. I got mine towards the end of last year. Only paid £35 for it. Full price was £50 at the time of purchase.

I have the Oregon electric chainsaw as a yard saw and it has been brilliant. Would call it more of a professional saw as you have the grunt to cut big stuff the same as my Husky. With that in mind you do have to treat with respect like you would do with any saw doing big stuff. Thought the chain was a bit noddy when I bought it and the sharpening tool a gimmick. How wrong could I have been. 2 seconds from unsharp saw to sharp saw why had I spent all that time in the past hand sharpening saws. So impressed I bought the Oregon sharpening conversion kit for my petrol husky. Only criticism  is the tension mechanism which you do not need spanners for and works really well but has a tendency to slacken over time so you need to get into the habit of checking chain tension prior to starting work which should be an automatic process anyway.

Going back a step what is your budget? If you flog the 2 petrol saws that should pay for a nice shiny corded electric saw + beer money, and perhaps go some way towards a battery saw.

I didn't fancy a corded saw, I'd have to leave the front door open when I get logs on the drive, or trail extension leads through the back garden from the garage - which isn't ideal when The Boys are playing, so went for battery Qualcast which I am surprisingly impressed by (it was half price, inc battery for about £80). If you have the budget and other battery power tools I would go that way with computable batteries. Keep its chain sharp.

As for the Titan, that was in the running for an electric saw, decent reports 3 or 4 years ago.

5 hours ago, Stere said:

Interesting about the sharpening  never though thoose things would actually work well.....

What is  the conversion kit?

Conversion kit includes new bar chain and sharpening system found on the Oregon saw. Think they do them for most husky and Stihl saws.

Bought a Titan today and will try it out in a day or so time (Grandpa duties tomorrow). It will only be used now for getting rid of five conifer stumps, and then for cutting logs for the smoker and pizza oven etc . If  I'm not happy with it I'll go makita 36v.

While I'm on is there anyone near the Black Country got suitable logs for a smoker? I had a few cherry but the previous owner covered them with polythene and mould / fungus set in, no good then for food use. Wouldn't mind but I make covers etc out of mesh / canvas etc so he only had to say and I would have knocked one up for him.

Latest smoker pictured, pizza oven/sear plate on left, smoker in centre, double bbq on right. Just need the sunshine now.

IMG_20210614_085525.jpg

• Like 3

2 hours ago, bmp01 said:

Anyone got a view on the Lidl electric saw ? Think it's sold as 2.4kW which ought to be enough, no idea about chain speed though. Anyone played with one? 

Hi,  my dad had the Florabest corded Chainsaw (he loves a Lidl middle isle bargain!!) 

It had plenty of power and he really liked it, I thought the quick tensioner was a bit weak. It had a good 3 or so years of abuse cutting worktops/nail strewn batons and pallets. It was left in a leaky woodshed all year round and eventually the power cord parted from the body. It was great for the money paid.

• Like 1