Best electric chainsaw?

rodp

Dragged the chainsaws out from under the bench ready to just cut some conifer stumps down, and both playing up again. To be fair, at the age of coming 70 I don't use them that much now though, so at least 18 months since used. Stripped and cleaned the Stihl MS 170 and fitted a service kit and runs great now, but like a dumbass I must have not fitted the oil feed pipe back correctly so it's leaking (and to get at it is a complete strip down again). Moved on to the Husky136 and gave that a clean and polish, but that one's cutting out under load when on it's side.

After much thought I realised I'm too damned old to be bothering with these now, the interest has gone and petrol chainsaws are just too much hassle unless used fairly regularly. So, I'm going buy a new corded electric, 240v mains, and get shut of the petrol ones when I get round to it (or more likely chuck them back under the bench for all eternity).

Question is, which is the best?

**Makita is only 1800w but usually decent quality, 

**Ryobi is 2300w and although I've never had problems some say Ryobi can be not good,

**Oregon is 2400w,comes with a Duracut chain ???, and to be fair they are involved with chainsaws more than the others.

Any other suggestions for makes and models? Any input will be gratefully received.

2 hours ago, rodp said:

Dragged the chainsaws out from under the bench ready to just cut some conifer stumps down, and both playing up again. To be fair, at the age of coming 70 I don't use them that much now though, so at least 18 months since used. Stripped and cleaned the Stihl MS 170 and fitted a service kit and runs great now, but like a dumbass I must have not fitted the oil feed pipe back correctly so it's leaking (and to get at it is a complete strip down again). Moved on to the Husky136 and gave that a clean and polish, but that one's cutting out under load when on it's side.

After much thought I realised I'm too damned old to be bothering with these now, the interest has gone and petrol chainsaws are just too much hassle unless used fairly regularly. So, I'm going buy a new corded electric, 240v mains, and get shut of the petrol ones when I get round to it (or more likely chuck them back under the bench for all eternity).

Question is, which is the best?

**Makita is only 1800w but usually decent quality, 

**Ryobi is 2300w and although I've never had problems some say Ryobi can be not good,

**Oregon is 2400w,comes with a Duracut chain ???, and to be fair they are involved with chainsaws more than the others.

Any other suggestions for makes and models? Any input will be gratefully received.

Have you considered battery rather than corded . No restriction ....

• Like 3

Seriously think how often its going to be used battery is ok if used regular. Batteries will not last long if not charged every couple of months so go electric i would corded. I have one of these (link below) if its late in the evening to keep the noise down its ok for stuff up to 15" wide

Titan TTL758CHN 2000W 230V Electric 40cm Chainsaw

Edited by topchippyles
  • Like 2

12 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Seriously think how often its going to be used battery is ok if used regular. Batteries will not last long if not charged every couple of months so go electric i would corded. I have one of these (link below) if its late in the evening to keep the noise down its ok for stuff up to 15" wide

I also have the titan saw. For its price i cannot fault it. I have cut many tons of wood including some 25" diameter oak from HS2 felling on my mates farm. It will do the job well if you keep it sharp and take it at a realistic rate. My only concern is the rate of oiling. It is not enough for the heavier work so i bring it out of the big oak to make sure it is not getting hot. For standard sub 15" stuff it is well capable! 

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

Makita or Ryobi batteries world be used in other tools so charged regularly. Lithium aren't so bad anyway, they do last quite a while even if not charged

• Like 4

21 minutes ago, topchippyles said:

+1 to the above, the Titan is a really solid choice. Also my 80 year old father has used a McCulloch corded saw for the last 5 years to cut pallets and other shite for firewood. As much of a brand snob as I am I  would love to hate on it but I can't fault it. Plenty of power, always ready, easy to clean up and sharpen. If you can manage the cord the £55 Titan at Screwfix is a winner.

WWW.AMAZON.CO.UK

Shop McCulloch CSE2040S Electric Chain Saw: 2000 W, 16 Inch Bar Length, 1.3 mm Chain Guage, Automatic Oil Pump...

• Like 1

Looks like trying the Titan then, as it's got the most votes. At least it will be the end of messing with little two stroke things and they can go rest in peace. I'm just too old now for the hassle of petrol, all the fun's gone out of it..

Anyone want to buy a couple of petrol chainsaws, got two going spare   :)

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, rodp said:

Looks like trying the Titan then, as it's got the most votes. At least it will be the end of messing with little two stroke things and they can go rest in peace. I'm just too old now for the hassle of petrol, all the fun's gone out of it..

Anyone want to buy a couple of petrol chainsaws, got two going spare   :)

Was just about to suggest the same as a good cheap option, plus you have the 2 year guarantee👍