Lancaster Bomber

monkeybusiness

The Vulcan flew near to here on its farewell tour and I managed to find a spot in a lay-by right underneath - I was amazed how relatively quiet it was. Another mega plane, very impressive seeing it flying. 

It was unbelievably loud when it roared over me, it was very low though. Got to agree it was very impressive
  • Like 1

Displays | Battle of Britain Memorial Flight | Royal Air Force (mod.uk)

years ago when the Vulcans were still in serves i was working on a RAF base they came and moved us away from the runway because a Vulcan was coming to test the runway a few circuits and bumps when it came in then powered up again all the ground vibrated and the sound waves hitting your chest unbelievable   

• Like 3

7 hours ago, daveatdave said:

Displays | Battle of Britain Memorial Flight | Royal Air Force (mod.uk)

years ago when the Vulcans were still in serves i was working on a RAF base they came and moved us away from the runway because a Vulcan was coming to test the runway a few circuits and bumps when it came in then powered up again all the ground vibrated and the sound waves hitting your chest unbelievable   

I am lucky enough to live close to the old Goodwood airdrome and race track . There is a resident Spitfire and during the summer months it is up above us most afternoon/evenings . Sometimes it has a partner from another part of the county and they fly together for a bit then the other one flies  home . Not sure where that is . The Goodwood revival brings all kinds of old aircraft including a couple of ME 109s and a Mustang P51 which also has the Merlin engine ( built under lenience by Packard ) .

• Like 3

We used to see the Vulcans regularly on their way from Waddington or Scampton to the range at Wainfleet. I remember the four smoke trails from the RR Avon engines as they hugged the topography of the Lincolnshire Wolds

In 1977 the men on the farm saw this Vulcan with flames streaming out above the farm before it crashed three miles away near Spilsby.

Apparently the pilot parachuted and landed in Halton Holegate and was walking up the road carrying his chute when he met someone who recognised him and in a great example of British understatement said  " I expect you could do with a nice cup of tea"

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Just remembered that shortly after the crash my cousin came over with his new girlfriend and we went down to the pub where I was full of this new story and started going on about it when my cousin started kicking me under the table and shaking his head.  Told me later that his girlfriend's father had been killed failing to eject from a stricken Vulcan.  Apparently the three aircrew in the back always had great difficulty in putting on their chutes and exiting via a small door in time and several lives were lost in this way.

2 hours ago, Stubby said:

I am lucky enough to live close to the old Goodwood airdrome and race track . There is a resident Spitfire and during the summer months it is up above us most afternoon/evenings . Sometimes it has a partner from another part of the county and they fly together for a bit then the other one flies  home . Not sure where that is . The Goodwood revival brings all kinds of old aircraft including a couple of ME 109s and a Mustang P51 which also has the Merlin engine ( built under lenience by Packard ) .

That'll be from Biggin Hill. A privately owned dual seat Spitfire. he takes passie's on aerial sight seeing trips, his general course is BH, over the High Weald, Shoreham, over the coastline and back. Quite frequently see him low passing over Heathfield. An incredible sound. 

A young neighbour asked what it was and when told, then asked why it was so important.

They're why you're speaking English ( well his interpretation of  it ) not German mate.

Incidentally the Battle of Britain museum at Hawkinge and the Battle of Britain memorial at Capel-Le-Ferne are well worth a visit.

The bomber crews never got the recognition they deserved until recently (about 2012 I believe).  

• Like 4

7 hours ago, roboted said:

A young neighbour asked what it was and when told, then asked why it was so important.

They're why you're speaking English ( well his interpretation of  it ) not German mate.

Aber  vee knew vee had von ze Vor  wann Mutti vas put in charge of ze EU!

• Haha 1