Cross breed dogs ?

Stubby

1 hour ago, 5thelement said:

That’s why I started with Border Terriers, the Kennel Club have had very little involvement in the  ‘standard’ look of the breed, so more diversity in genes, and different size/colour/leg/head shapes depending on what you are working them on.

I think a lot of the modern crossbreeding is ‘fad’ but some have specific reasons such as lack of moulting/allergy etc

My inlaws bought a Labradoodle when they first started appearing as their son had allergy problems and iirc the idea was started in Australia specifically to breed a dog with hair that folk with these conditions could tolerate, the coat being more akin to wool than hair.

Even back then they paid £1200 for a male pup which had it's knackers off in order that the breeders could protect their blood line.. gone now but he was a lovely even mannered dog but he was big, about the size of a GS and his thick shaggy coat grew very fast... god knows how much they spent on his haircuts over the years and he did end up with back end problems.

Not got much time for the Kennel club, I remember reading a long time ago that the hip dysplasia suffered by German Shepherds for instance could be easily bred out in about 12 generations if the KC would recognise the change in the breed, I'll not bother saying what I think about dogs with no snouts or very short legs 👎

I'll stick with my £60 rescued from SPCA mixture Lucy nearly 16 and hardly ever been to the vet,👍 nearing the end now but as someone once said " all things must pass "

• Like 7

Teckel is what the French call daschunds, Craig. They are quite popular with German stalkers. Very determined buggers!

Thx David, I actually fancy one myself but I guess trying to get one from working stock would be hard. Wouldn’t want one of those in-bred handbag types that suffer bad backs etc
  • Like 3

4 minutes ago, David Cropper said:

Teckel is what the French call daschunds, Craig. They are quite popular with German stalkers. Very determined buggers!

The other half was very fond of the Daschund she had back in Germany, one track mind for hunting she said. Called it Hexa, meaning the little witch.

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Commando said:

Was it a Teckel hound, like a wire haired dachshund? Supposedly fantastic at tracking deer

It could be. I have seen a few types of wire haired Dachshund here, none quite like this one as it was particularly small.

My French neighbour has 3 wire haired Dachshunds, but these are  massive in comparison, big heads/thick necks like a Fox/Scottish Terrier, absolutely fantastic dogs that he uses to deal with problem Foxes. He is a member of the Chasse so can put his dogs to ground here with no issues.

• Like 2

Not got much time for the Kennel club, I remember reading a long time ago that the hip dysplasia suffered by German Shepherds for instance could be easily bred out in about 12 generations if the KC would recognise the change in the breed, I'll not bother saying what I think about dogs with no snouts or very short legs [emoji107]

Yep the KC are a bunch of money grabbing clowns!
It’s about time the working breed clubs broke away and started their own breeding organisation.
Their incompetence during CV19 has been shocking.
As u say, some of the show dogs have been bred to accentuate the traits that will win them the Crufts titles, bull dogs that can’t breathe, King Charles Spaniel’s who’s heads are too small for their brain, GSDs with weird back/hip conformation…. Shocking!
  • Like 5

It could be. I have seen a few types of wire haired Dachshund here, none quite like this one as it was particularly small.
My French neighbour has 3 wire haired Dachshunds, but these are  massive in comparison, big heads/thick necks like a Fox/Scottish Terrier, absolutely fantastic dogs that he uses to deal with problem Foxes. He is a member of the Chasse so can put his dogs to ground here with no issues.

I think they were bred to hunt badgers?
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, Commando said:

Yep the KC are a bunch of money grabbing clowns!
It’s about time the working breed clubs broke away and started their own breeding organisation.
Their incompetence during CV19 has been shocking.
As u say, some of the show dogs have been bred to accentuate the traits that will win them the Crufts titles, bull dogs that can’t breathe, King Charles Spaniel’s who’s heads are too small for their brain, GSDs with weird back/hip conformation…. Shocking!

Incompetent during covid? 

• Like 1