Cross breed dogs ?

Stubby

50 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Dalmatians are prone to sight problems aren't they?

Large breeds like Doberman and GS suffer hip dysplasia amongst other things, and the small breeds have breathing issues... The more human intervention in breeding, the more health problems suffered.

That’s why I started with Border Terriers, the Kennel Club have had very little involvement in the  ‘standard’ look of the breed, so more diversity in genes, and different size/colour/leg/head shapes depending on what you are working them on.

I think a lot of the modern crossbreeding is ‘fad’ but some have specific reasons such as lack of moulting/allergy etc

• Like 6

13 minutes ago, 5thelement said:

That’s why I started with Border Terriers, the Kennel Club have had very little involvement in the  ‘standard’ look of the breed, so more diversity in genes, and different size/colour/leg/head shapes depending on what you are working them on.

I think a lot of the modern crossbreeding is ‘fad’ but some have specific reasons such as lack of moulting/allergy etc

Interesting, hadn't thought of the allergy aspect at all.

On a different subject, thanks for the protos helmet recommendation, it's hands down a different league from any I've had previously. 

• Like 1

My granddaughter and her partner in Holland paid 3000€ recently for a Cockapoodle, he has problems with allergies. Seems to be ok with the dog. My stepdaughter and husband in Dorchester got one 2 months ago, £ 2000 plus I believe. Ridiculous money for what they are. Nice dogs by all accounts but seems a fashionable fad. 

• Like 4

52 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Apart from lurchers and "fast" dogs which still don't really qualify as they are bred for poaching, which crosses are used as working dogs?

One that springs to mind is Guide dogs. Often poodle crosses are used for those with dog allergies. Some, not all don't shed.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, David Cropper said:

They were originally bred as carriage dogs, Andrew. They would run alongside.

AIUI they ran between the wheels and were there to defend the occupants of the carriage.

Ours was particularly good at running with the bicycle, even on the road when I dared, when he was younger. When I was teaching my granddaughter  to drive in the 35 acre field and sent her solo he caught her up and jumped through the passenger window of the Vitara because he didn't want to be left behind.

• Like 3

I don't particularly have a problem with deliberate cross breeding having had a Sprocker myself but at least that was Spaniel on Spaniel . There seems to be a glut of " Labradoodle " and  " Cockerpoo " dogs at the moment . Came across a new one to me this morning ....a " Sheepadoodle "  This is , as the name suggests a cross between an already crossed " Labradoodle " and an Old English sheep dog . This was deliberate for reasons un known to me .  Is it just a fasion/fad  thing or are there other reasons for it ? Any one have any thoughts  ?

Its a bit crazy, some of these mongrels/crossbreeds are making serious dosh, the Cockerpoos particularly. I can see the attraction for those that suffer with allergies, and they also don’t shed hair but I’m certainly a preferrer of pure bred dogs.
My wife breeds working cockers and we currently have a litter of “Cockerdors”, our randy stud cocker got across our lab….dirty bugger didn’t even tie! Anyway they are gorgeous looking pups that will make great workers or pets…. Didnt struggle to sell at all.
IMG_1750.jpg
  • Like 2

I met a French hunter on one of the estates I was working on in East Sussex a few years back. The owner had invited him to come over to stalk Fallow Deer. He had with him one of the smallest dogs I have ever seen, a French breed for tracking injured quarry, can’t remember the breed name but it was more ferret than dog.

Was it a Teckel hound, like a wire haired dachshund? Supposedly fantastic at tracking deer
  • Like 2