Cross breed dogs ?

Stubby

I don't particularly have a problem with deliberate cross breeding having had a Sprocker myself but at least that was Spaniel on Spaniel . There seems to be a glut of " Labradoodle " and  " Cockerpoo " dogs at the moment . Came across a new one to me this morning ....a " Sheepadoodle "  This is , as the name suggests a cross between an already crossed " Labradoodle " and an Old English sheep dog . This was deliberate for reasons un known to me .  Is it just a fasion/fad  thing or are there other reasons for it ? Any one have any thoughts  ?

• Like 6

I've often thought nowadays it's driven by fashion, can't see a reason for these mixes other than to be different. As far as I'm aware no-one is buying them for a working purpose.

As is the way with the world, be it phones or cars or clothes etc. Always has to be something "new".

I'm quite fond of an old fashioned mongrel though, always found them to be more balanced and have fewer health issues associated with the breeds.

• Like 6

3 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

I'm quite fond of an old fashioned mongrel though, always found them to be more balanced and have fewer health issues associated with the breeds.

Yes and definitely the case with our dalmatian cross pointer as pure dalmatians have genetic problems.

Also hybrid vigour, he is bigger than either parent breed. 10 years now and slowing up plus losing weight though.

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

Yes and definitely the case with our dalmatian cross pointer as pure dalmatians have genetic problems.

Also hybrid vigour, he is bigger than either parent breed. 10 years now and slowing up plus losing weight though.

Dalmatians are prone to sight problems aren't they?

Large breeds like Doberman and GS suffer hip dysplasia amongst other things, and the small breeds have breathing issues... The more human intervention in breeding, the more health problems suffered.

• Like 2

Apart from lurchers and "fast" dogs which still don't really qualify as they are bred for poaching, which crosses are used as working dogs?

The vast majority of dogs are just pets and companions.

Our cross was an accident of birth, the two frenchies highly expensive pure bred and I don't approve of the breeding  at all but I am very attached to them all.

• Like 3

38 minutes ago, Doug Tait said:

Dalmatians are prone to sight problems aren't they?

His sighting is poor but nose is good, I thought they suffered kidney problems, one of the reasons they have white shit??

They weren't hunting dogs but rather bred as fancy looking attack dogs. I am wary of pure dalmatians as they can go mental, our cross is as soft as anything and very tactile, loves just being stroked.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, openspaceman said:

His sighting is poor but nose is good, I thought they suffered kidney problems, one of the reasons they have white shit??

They weren't hunting dogs but rather bred as fancy looking attack dogs. I am wary of pure dalmatians as they can go mental, our cross is as soft as anything and very tactile, loves just being stroked.

They were originally bred as carriage dogs, Andrew. They would run alongside.

• Like 4

I met a French hunter on one of the estates I was working on in East Sussex a few years back. The owner had invited him to come over to stalk Fallow Deer. He had with him one of the smallest dogs I have ever seen, a French breed for tracking injured quarry, can’t remember the breed name but it was more ferret than dog.

• Like 3