D4 - House Car!

PeteB

Not an Arb truck but many use them..... Got to do timing belt and crank seal on mine tomorrow along with trying to correct a suspension fault and fixing parking aid. Even with a nanocam to plug into the OBD socket, things can be a struggle. 

Bloody thing! I love it and loath it....it is the 8th Landrover I've had over the years and you thing I'd learn my lesson....

Newfangled computer controlled nightmare confusedness!

At the other end of the spectrum is my whip this week. I bought it as a non-runner and stuck a 200tdi in it years ago. Goes like ****************, practically no electrics, it’s ace!

(It quickly gets boring on a motorway though!)…

588870C3-C22F-45B7-AC8B-B20F300388FE.thumb.jpeg.be911f29eea82aed40dbc3b3ede5672c.jpeg

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, monkeybusiness said:

Newfangled computer controlled nightmare confusedness!

At the other end of the spectrum is my whip this week. I bought it as a non-runner and stuck a 200tdi in it years ago. Goes like ****************, practically no electrics, it’s ace!

(It quickly gets boring on a motorway though!)…

588870C3-C22F-45B7-AC8B-B20F300388FE.thumb.jpeg.be911f29eea82aed40dbc3b3ede5672c.jpeg

If I had to have a LR it would be a stackable light weight .

• Like 1

Saw a couple of the original stackable units in a yard in Hinstock, Shropshire! Very rare, but even a decent ordinary Lightweight is a rare site now too! Was in Rimmer Bros last week and they a  D2, LSE and an early Freelander that were factory cutaway units....

• Like 1

12 hours ago, PeteB said:

Not an Arb truck but many use them..... Got to do timing belt and crank seal on mine tomorrow along with trying to correct a suspension fault and fixing parking aid. Even with a nanocam to plug into the OBD socket, things can be a struggle. 

Bloody thing! I love it and loath it....it is the 8th Landrover I've had over the years and you thing I'd learn my lesson....

TDV6? I was forever worrying what would go wrong next when my granddaughter bought one.

Watch out for the plastic coolant manifold in the VEE splitting at its seam.

Also it apparently pays to replace the oil pump as loss of oil pressure can become an issue, I never did this as she sold it and got a "little" car.

Take the oily timing belt cover off and it is wet behind too, it appears that there is a lot of oil around the throttle body and the filter! Get underneath and remove covers and the oil is really everywhere!  Both sides of the block, the gearbox, the whole underneath will not rust! So, new timing belt, new throttle body sensors and maybe more once I really start to look. Right game.....

But they are worth it - if looked after properly!

My D3 has done 273k miles, about 80k of which has been towing a,d another 30-40k working off oad.  The wife's D4 has done 135k.  By far the most versatile and reliable vehicles we have ever owned

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, waterbuoy said:

But they are worth it - if looked after properly!

My D3 has done 273k miles, about 80k of which has been towing a,d another 30-40k working off oad.  The wife's D4 has done 135k.  By far the most versatile and reliable vehicles we have ever owned

Yes lovely to drive and tow with and I expect 90% of them will go on with no problems, we had a 2006 RR Sport from new which was a tow tug and did 250k miles before its first serious mechanical problem in 2016.

It's just if you own one of the 10% that fail early either from previous abuse or lack of oil changes then you are in for an expensive repair. Often because the body has to be lifted for any major engine work and the bolts and gaskets, belts etc are over £1500 before you start to address things like broken cranks where the webs are thin.

11 hours ago, openspaceman said:

TDV6? I was forever worrying what would go wrong next when my granddaughter bought one.

EGR valves are always a fun job on them. I quite like working on them actually.

Would like a D4 3.0 SDV6 to tow with. Never towed with one yet. Got a D2 TD5 that needs some love first though.

• Like 2

When my GreenMech Ranger was stuck in a garage, I had a D4 to use for the period. Got to say that the D4 had more 'presence', towed better and returned better mpg too. But if they go wrong, the cost plenty!

• Like 1