Will a reclaimed teak table top warp?

Fripp

I've got some lovely reclaimed deck teak from old steamer that I want to make into a table top. My concern is warping; will it warp or bend if I join the boards together (using glue and biscuits). The boards are 100mm wide and 25mm thick and very dense.

34 minutes ago, Fripp said:

I've got some lovely reclaimed deck teak from old steamer that I want to make into a table top. My concern is warping; will it warp or bend if I join the boards together (using glue and biscuits). The boards are 100mm wide and 25mm thick and very dense.

I honestly don't know but would love to see it when its done .

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Fripp said:

leave them in a very dry location (best if they can be in the intended room) and leave them for 6 months. once they have got to their equilibrium then they can be processed into a table top.

if you use bracing boards underneath then you will reduce the likelihood of too much warping.

• Like 4

48 minutes ago, se7enthdevil said:

leave them in a very dry location (best if they can be in the intended room) and leave them for 6 months. once they have got to their equilibrium then they can be processed into a table top.

if you use bracing boards underneath then you will reduce the likelihood of too much warping.

How are you steve not seen you post on here in a long time. Keeping well i hope buddy 👍

56 minutes ago, Fripp said:

Forgot to mention it is a garden table so it will be rained on

Teak is possibly the best timber you could use for a garden table - highly durable and stable.  

BUT you must allow for movement of the timber - it will get baked in the sun (maybe for weeks at a time in a heat wave) and rained on and damp for weeks at a time.  If you glue it up like an indoor dining table you will have problems.  Either leave gaps, or look at the way teak decks are made for boats - they have gaps with a sealant and caulking material in between.

• Like 1

On 13/05/2022 at 20:52, topchippyles said:

How are you steve not seen you post on here in a long time. Keeping well i hope buddy 👍

i'm fine mate.

not been posting as my old steam powered computer won't let me get on the website. this is my mums which i do use once in a while.

i'm on facebook alot these days but i'm having trouble with that now.

• Like 1