2 rope climbing are we sticking to the rules

Thesnarlingbadger

2 hours ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Both the Forestry industry sector, and IRATA (I think / presume) are structured differently to the arb industry are they not, in that arb has many more small/micro businesses, and a large self-employed fraternity,

There are large Forestry operators out there, just like there is in Arb, but the vast majority of hand cutters don’t work for Tilhill etc, they work for or own small businesses and are largely self employed just like in the Arb sector.

There is absolutely no reason why the proposals put forward by the FCA couldn’t be implemented in the Arb industry also.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, Thesnarlingbadger said:

Ropes will still get cut, branches will snap, people will be doing things for the 'Gram and the TikTok...

For the gram? TikTok? Am I missing something here?

People filming backflips and massive swings for Instagram and TikTok etc

On 16/05/2022 at 07:25, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

The question is whether the HSE will be open to review...and I think very unlikely tbh.

The expectation(?) is that with new climbers coming through the system", learning on '2 ropes', i.e. "climbing with a backup system in place", that it will become the norm. 

Very unlikely. Most of our new guys come out of their training on two ropes, see the lads a bit further on than them blitzing out work on one rope and pretty quickly ditch the second line.

As far as I can see, it hasn't been adopted at all, nor will it.

• Like 10

Excuse my ignorance (if applicable), but if two ropes are current guidelines/regs and you’re not working in accordance with the above surely you’re knackered if any accidents/near misses were to occur? Bang goes your insurance, accred, business as the HSE are not going to accept years worth of experience as an excuse to why you weren’t following regs. Just wondering in terms of a HSE enquiry/case would it be that black and white? 

10 minutes ago, JLA1990 said:

Excuse my ignorance (if applicable), but if two ropes are current guidelines/regs and you’re not working in accordance with the above surely you’re knackered if any accidents/near misses were to occur? Bang goes your insurance, accred, business as the HSE are not going to accept years worth of experience as an excuse to why you weren’t following regs. Just wondering in terms of a HSE enquiry/case would it be that black and white? 

Yeah, but it's a case of finding where you're non compliant. Are your refreshers up to date? LOLER? Are you staying type C trousers? Have you replaced the safety decals on your top handle?

I could go on. Basically the insurance will find a fault if they want to. Best not to rely on that. Try and work so that you don't need them. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

12 hours ago, JLA1990 said:

Personally I don't think it would be, because the guidelines aren't that black and white. The prosecutions that I've seen published are usually a whole step worse in terms of working practices - as in no rope at all, ladder from back of pickup, no helmet, log splitter modified to one hand use, etc.

But don't take that as legal advice of course.....

• Like 1

• 4 months later...

2 loadbearing anchor points, i.e. each independently capable of preventing a fall of over 0.5m in the absence of the other. You may find an additional lanyard comes in handy for positioning on an additional non load bearing anchor point, alternatively you could just use the tail of one main line as only one has to allow uninterrupted descent.

• Like 1

Afternoon, thought i would stick my two cents in as a relatively new climber (5 months in since passing my  climbing tickets). So i've work with saws and forestry side of things for 5-6 years so i wasn't completely clueless - only when it came to climbing. When i first started climbing i must admit i was fairly uncomfortable with the height and the two lines helped me feel more at ease. However as i've done more and more climbing i got used to and fairly comfortable with the height. I think it should be completely up to the climber as its your life on the line and as everyone points out each tree is completely different and cant be covered under one blanket rule - in big trees ( spread wise), i find using two lines allows myself to find a much more stable position when working. However in smaller trees two lines can get hugely confusing and almost dangerous, as i've found its much harder to spot a crossloaded biner or a gate on a biner that has got caught on one of the four lines that comes back to your bridge, which especially for a brand new climber who has a million things going through there head isn't going to help the situation let alone in an emergency. I know i've got a long way to go and only just started my career in this industry just  thought that my humble opinion might offer a different view point from you lads that have been climbing for far more years than myself.

• Like 7