2 rope climbing are we sticking to the rules

Thesnarlingbadger

10 hours ago, Treetom15 said:

@AA Teccie (Paul)

Thanks for being so open and replying to everyone👍
Do you think that the AA will ever be open to a re working of the 2 rope working method, and in doing so this would help towards making it non compulsory (at least in the eyes of the HSE)? It just seems to be so widely disregarded, surely it would be good to have a middle ground that the majority of staff would actually stick to?

The question is whether the HSE will be open to review...and I think very unlikely tbh.

The expectation(?) is that with new climbers coming through the system", learning on '2 ropes', i.e. "climbing with a backup system in place", that it will become the norm. 

9 hours ago, Mark Bolam said:

The problem I have with two rope working under the current guidelines is that HSE see it as a ‘one size fits all’ policy, which we all know is bollocks.

Single stem connies?

WTF is your second ‘anchor’ achieving?

The "backup system" in this situation would likely be your flip line (in addition to your climbing line.) 

6 hours ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

The "backup system" in this situation would likely be your flip line (in addition to your climbing line.) 

In reference to that, I have been told that both ends of you climbing lines must be able to reach the floor, so your lanyard wouldn’t be appropriate? 

9 minutes ago, Treetom15 said:

In reference to that, I have been told that both ends of you climbing lines must be able to reach the floor, so your lanyard wouldn’t be appropriate? 

Get a copy of tg 1. Watch the  videos that the as have posted on YouTube and you will see that is not the case.

9 minutes ago, Treetom15 said:

Get a copy of tg 1. Watch the  videos that the as have posted on YouTube and you will see that is not the case.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Treetom15 said:

Nope, only one system needs to reach the ground...unless you include a second system that does so, preferentially, but it is not required as such. 

• Like 1

Nope, only one system needs to reach the ground...unless you include a second system that does so, preferentially, but it is not required as such. 
Before I join in I've not read the final paperwork but I was lead to believe that on first ascent and final decent both lines had to reach the floor, once in the canopy a 2nd short line would suffice. Did I miss something that got changed?

10 minutes ago, MWArb said:
31 minutes ago, AA Teccie (Paul) said:

Before I join in I've not read the final paperwork but I was lead to believe that on first ascent and final decent both lines had to reach the floor, once in the canopy a 2nd short line would suffice. Did I miss something that got changed?

I can't recall "when" all the changes that occurred did so but if you read the current TG1 (Dec. 2020) at various sections, including 6.6e / 10.1 / 14.5.3d, it makes reference to the 'primary system' being able to reach the ground, it doesn't mention the same of the 'backup system' at all (BUT it is a good idea of course, in general terms dependent upon the system used.)

Cheers

Paul 

• Like 1

AA Safety Guide 1 (SG1) Sect. 10 - Descent (see below), gives some insight but you need TG1 for the full picture 

A source of publications, guidance notes and leaflets for arboriculturists. Competitively priced available to members...

Safety-Guide-1-Form.pdf

Edited by AA Teccie (Paul)
Add text to help
  • Like 1