2 rope climbing are we sticking to the rules

Thesnarlingbadger

So it’s been on my mind for a while now but I just wanted to see how many people are actually climbing on 2 ropes?

I’m going to get a load of crap from the AA for this I’m sure but I’ve been climbing for 15 years or so now. Learnt on 1 rope and have tried 2 ropes but other than the odd occasion can not seem to get my head around it. I have tun my own business for the past 6 years and have Subbies working for me. Every climber that comes through climbs on a one rope system bar one chap who came to do a few days with us. He was a nice guy and a fairly decent climber but he spent so long organising his kit that a half day job ended up taking a whole day and we had to go back to sort the stem the next day.

Not having a go at him and if that’s the way he wants to do things that’s fine but I would have had the tree down in half the time and been out of there by 2.

What I want to find out is how many of you are climbing on two ropes now and is anyone finding a quicker way to do things on this set up?

I stick to every other health and safety aspect of the industry but I’m finding I’m to long in the tooth for this one.

I’d like to hear form some of the older crew on this one as I find it hard to believe there are many 50 year old climbers out there throwing two ropes up the tree.

Obviously this is a bit of a awkward subject given the fact that H&S is involved and if you would rather send a message to my inbox I understand.

It’s been driving me mad the fact that every single person I know (bar one) agrees with me that the 2 rope system is ridiculous 2 years on.

Let me know your thoughts and que the abuse I’m going to get from this.

Thanks

• Like 6

I dont climb anymore bit if I did I most certainly wouldn’t be using 2 ropes. Couldn’t care less if the hse are watching either, it’s one of the most ludicrous things ever bought in and will undoubtedly result in a death somewhere along the way.

I don’t know of any other climbers who I talk with that are using 2 ropes either 

• Like 11

No abuse from me mate, I make you spot on.

Still one rope and lanyard when cutting is all I’ve done/seen down here in Kent.

Probably only observed on big contracts.

Might explain why HS2 budget has leapt from £55bn to £100bn!

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Of the climbers I've seen the majority have not adopted using 2 ropes, surprisingly some still don't know it's a requirement now. A few are doing it, but grudgingly, only due to "pressure" from management.

I know several people personally who have doubtless contributed to the introduction of 2 rope climbing by cutting themselves out of trees.

All of them know the shortcut or mistake that led to it and believe it was entirely avoidable, none support mandatory 2 rope working.

• Like 1