Buying my first Harness

RobG 86

Good evening.

Hope your all well. looking for some help and advice. I've got my Level 2 Accessing a Tree Using a Rope and Harness and Ariel Rescue booked in at the end of May. I'm completely new to this and looking for some help and advice. I know that it's down to personal preference and how it fits when on.

What do you guys think to the TreeHog TH5000 and the Dragon 2?  I would be happy to look at any but that all I've seen in the shop. when looking online loads come up but for rock climbing and lots say multi use and I'm not sure there suitable for what I need. 

Any help would be very grateful .

Thank Rob

Hi Rob, are you not able to use equipment supplied by the training provider for the course?

I've no experience of the two you mention but I've used a few and for me there's never been a "best harness", they all have good and bad points.

If you look at Arb supply shops like Gustharts, FR Jones etc, there shouldn't be any confusion about the harness being suitable for use.

Thanks for the reply Doug.

They recommend bringing your own Pruning Saw and Climbing equipment along. This will give the best possible experience.

Will take a look at them sites. I've used FR Jones before but not looked at harness on there. I guess I'll just bite the bullet and buy one and see how i get on. Been looking at buying it all in a kit but the pricing difference is incredible so just shopping around for the best price. Thanks again. 

• Like 1

Where are you based? Best bet is to try some on. Harnesses can be such a personal thing. What's best for one isn't necessarily the best for another. The Dragon 2 looks very uncomfortable and more like a rock climbing harness. If you want a basic tree harness have a look at the Komet Butterfly. I rate these personally as a basic harness and never had a complaint with it. I recommend most new starters to get one before moving up onto something like the treemotion evo, which the want because all the cool kids wear them 😎 

As above, the best bet is to get to an ARB supplier local to you and try a few on. What works for one person won't for the next.

I brought a tree motion years ago as everyone seemed to love them, absolutely hated every minute in it and ended up swapping with someone else and was glad to see the thing go!