Hunting in the UK

JLA1990

Is it not still illegal to shoot deer using thermal or night vision scopes. None of the contractors about here use them, only spotting scopes then switch to spotlight for the actual shot.

[/

The law allows you to shoot deer 1hr after sunset and 1hr before sunrise.

I’m sure using thermal or image intensifier during those times is not illegal.

Using a spotlight in darkness or any of those other devices at other times of night is. For foxes, rabbits, and vermin…. No problem.

However you can apply for a licence to shoot deer at night if you can prove crop damage etc.

• Like 2

Thanks all for somewhat confirming, im

going to trawl round some butchers and gun shops in Cheltenham/Cotswolds and see if I can get some introductions. Presumably rabbits etc are pretty easy to access, stop and ask a farmer as I’m sure he won’t be opposed to me knocking a few off.

2 minutes ago, JLA1990 said:

If anyone knows anyone who can get me stalking and teach how to prep carcass etc I’m all ears (happy to travel)

As has been said you will need  DSC1 and DCS2 . For example if you draw a bead on a beast and don't notice that there is one directly behind it in silhouette,  you will fail . You might kill the front animal but will horribly injure the one behind .

Guest Gimlet
1 hour ago, jmac said:

Is it not still illegal to shoot deer using thermal or night vision scopes. None of the contractors about here use them, only spotting scopes then switch to spotlight for the actual shot.

In exceptional circumstances you can apply to Natural England for a strictly time-limited  A16 license to shoot deer at night. They can be granted only where deer pose a serious health and safety risk, are threatening natural heritage or causing catastrophic crop or forestry damage. You have to provide evidence of need and proof that no other means of control has been effective. And then you must submit a full report of deer activity and your actions (even if you haven't taken any) two weeks from the date of issue of the permit using an LR16 report form. 

This applies in England and Wales. I assume there is equivalent dispensation available in Scotland and Northern Ireland and that the Scottish government has power over this legislation. 

Essentially, it would only need a change to the existing law to make night shooting permits general or greatly expand their scope. If you have a massive majority or completely monopolise your national Parliament, that is only a formality.

Notwithstanding how ecologically illiterate the green movement is,  I'm baffled how the SNP get their politically motivated war against the very existence of native Scottish deer past their Green party coalition partners.

Edited by Gimlet

9 minutes ago, Gimlet said:

In exceptional circumstances you can apply to Natural England for a strictly time-limited  A16 license to shoot deer at night. They can be granted only where deer pose a serious health and safety risk, are threatening natural heritage or causing catastrophic crop or forestry damage. You have to provide evidence of need and proof that no other means of control has been effective. And then you must submit a full report of deer activity and your actions (even if you haven't taken any) two weeks from the date of issue of the permit using an LR16 report form. 

This applies in England and Wales. I assume there is equivalent dispensation available in Scotland and Northern Ireland and that the Scottish government has power over this legislation. 

Essentially, it work only need a change to the existing law to make night shooting permits general or greatly expand their scope. 

Notwithstanding how ecologically illiterate the green movement is,  I'm baffled how the SNP get their politically motivated war against the very existence of native Scottish deer past their Green party coalition partners.

Yes, very difficult to get in England, in Scotland they hand their version out like sweets, you just need to be on SNH fit and Competent register which is a simple email if you have L1&2.

Regarding needing dsc 1&2 to stalk, you don't need either, some lease holders might request it but if you are going out with a guide as a paying guest you will rarely require it. 

6 minutes ago, waz77 said:

Regarding needing dsc 1&2 to stalk, you don't need either, some lease holders might request it but if you are going out with a guide as a paying guest you will rarely require it. 

Yes but the OP said can you point to someone who can " teach me " ....

Guest Gimlet
13 minutes ago, waz77 said:

I've known some FEOs demand DSC1 as a precondition to granting a first ticket. Their reasoning is, if you're going to be shooting deer, you need DSC1 and your hunter number to be able to examine the animal, tag it and put it into the human food chain. So if you haven't got it, you can't sell the carcasses therefore how can you have "good reason to possess". Though of course, you can still shoot deer for your own consumption without DSC1 and I'm pretty sure having DSC1 isn't in the guidelines. But some FEOs have been known to try and use it to refuse grants.

Edited by Gimlet

Yes some feo's try anything in the book to avoid issuing fac's, ours here like to try and make their own rules up as they go along, but as you say it's nowhere in ho guidelines, only the requirement to have good reason, so might insist on proof of a booked stalk or letter of permission from landowner to control deer

1 hour ago, JLA1990 said:

Presumably rabbits etc are pretty easy to access, stop and ask a farmer as I’m sure he won’t be opposed to me knocking a few off.

Rabbits are quite hard to find in lots of places, also most farmers will either have someone sorted for the rabbits or expect someone experienced and insured etc.  Grey squirrels might be easier to get but hard to skin and not a great deal on them. 

Do you have much shooting experience? You might be better off joining a shooting club for a while to gain experience and to meet people who do hunt. 

Edited by Paul in the woods