Kirklees refusal to allow arisings to be burned on site

jonrob

Hi all,

We've had a few decisions back from Kirklees with the condition that arisings can't be burned on site. These were for trees with Ash Die Back and Horse Chestnut Bleeding Canker.

I've had a look at the latest guidance and it seems that Ash Die Back and Horse Chestnut Bleeding Canker arising should be burned on site to prevent the spread of disease.

BS39998 says that arisings shouldn't generally be burned on site except where it is done to prevent the spread of disease.

What's your thoughts?

Cheers,

John

33 minutes ago, jonrob said:

Hi all,

We've had a few decisions back from Kirklees with the condition that arisings can't be burned on site. These were for trees with Ash Die Back and Horse Chestnut Bleeding Canker.

I've had a look at the latest guidance and it seems that Ash Die Back and Horse Chestnut Bleeding Canker arising should be burned on site to prevent the spread of disease.

BS39998 says that arisings shouldn't generally be burned on site except where it is done to prevent the spread of disease.

What's your thoughts?

Cheers,

John

Show that guidance to Kirklees . 

17 minutes ago, Stubby said:

Show that guidance to Kirklees . 

A tree officer should already know about this sort of thing, shouldn't they?

It's a bit worrying if they don't.

But I did show them, several times. Makes no difference.

1 minute ago, jonrob said:

A tree officer should already know about this sort of thing, shouldn't they?

It's a bit worrying if they don't.

But I did show them, several times. Makes no difference.

if you burned on site ( in accordance with official guidelines ) would you actually be breaking the law or just pissing off some one in the council ?  

3 minutes ago, Stubby said:

if you burned on site ( in accordance with official guidelines ) would you actually be breaking the law or just pissing off some one in the council ?  

It'd be breaking a condition of approval to do works to a TPO tree.

Just now, jonrob said:

Yeah, it is. 🤣

Ask them if they would condone you breaking the rules by taking the brash away and burning/chipping it somewhere else . And could you please have it in writing . 

11 minutes ago, jonrob said:

It'd be breaking a condition of approval to do works to a TPO tree.

I don't believe it would. You specify the works to be carried out on the tree. Disposal of arisings doesn't come into it surely (in TPO terms).  Sure, the council might write it in there but I don't think that's within their remit to specify.  Unless I'm woefully out of date.

• Like 1

Did you request to burn the arisings? If so why?

I lived in Kirklees for years and had many fires with zero issues from the TO. Local residents were sometimes less than appreciative and the fire brigade was called a couple of times by them.