Best chainsaw boots for climbing?

Branchlines

I have just started climbing since last year but use some Oregon boots in the tree and every couple months they start to rip apart just from lots of use.

I do a lot of ground work as-well as climbing.

Maybe good idea to have 2 pairs one for climbing and one for when on ground.

Any ideas for any good climbing chainsaw boots?

• I have used Meindl Airstream for several years, very happy with them. Before that I used Haix Protector, was happy with them too. Reason I changed to Meindl was that the heel was a little thicker, os they lasted longer until my spikes could slip out from under the heel.
  • I run two pairs of boots - the newer pair for climbing days and the worn pay for ground days, especially if dragging brash over concrete/tarmac etc.

I have just started climbing since last year but use some Oregon boots in the tree and every couple months they start to rip apart just from lots of use.

I do a lot of ground work as-well as climbing.
Maybe good idea to have 2 pairs one for climbing and one for when on ground.

Any ideas for any good climbing chainsaw boots?

IMG_1652004473.381980.jpg here are my worn out Oregons
  • Like 1

• I have used Meindl Airstream for several years, very happy with them. Before that I used Haix Protector, was happy with them too. Reason I changed to Meindl was that the heel was a little thicker, os they lasted longer until my spikes could slip out from under the heel.
  • I run two pairs of boots - the newer pair for climbing days and the worn pay for ground days, especially if dragging brash over concrete/tarmac etc.

Love my Oregon’s super comfortable and great to climb in for me aswell, only last so long so I think I will try the airstreams was thinking maybe those.

Think the airstreams would be good for spiking? find my Oregon’s get caught on the spikes sometimes.

Airstream are fine on spikes, it's what I have been on for a long time because they were the only thing people stocked in size 13. When they were new I think they were a leap forward, lots of people wore them. The design changed so the sole is no longer Vibram, they're not as popular because it's not as durable but they are still a good comfortable boot. Certainly a big step up in durability from the Oregon but also in price.

I've bought a pair of Haix to try, to me not as comfortable initially but fine once past that.

Two pairs of boots is also good if one gets soaked, no panic drying them overnight.

• Like 2

Arbortec Kayos hands down. My old Airstreams are like lead boots compared to these. Much better movement in the ankle and not having a completely rigid sole is much less fatiguing I find. Had them 5 months now and with all the storms they've been getting a lot of use. No notable wear as yet, feet are always dry. Winner. 

I'd just add, I think rigid sole is better on spikes. It's always going to be a balance of factors.

Really, ideally you need to find an arb supplier and try some boots on.

Yeah that’s probably best idea but need to try them in the tree not on the ground.

41 minutes ago, Dan Maynard said:

I'd just add, I think rigid sole is better on spikes. It's always going to be a balance of factors.

I have always found a rigid sole much more comfortable when my foot is wedged in a narrow crotch, as well as on spikes.

• Like 1

I rate pfanner zermatts - supple enough for pruning and solid enough for all week on spikes.

I never understood peoples affinity for airstreams - no heal and super soft midsole so poor on spikes and soft soles so don’t last long dragging brash. Junk lasted me 9 months