Chainsaw file

Mark Bolam

Tree Man Tom,

I am new here and do not wish to upset or offend anyone, so let me rephrase it:

It is not the guy that "P's" me off it is the technique, if you have a really blunt chain due to hitting a piece of hidden metal etc, there is no way you are going to get that edge back with only one hand on the end of the file.

You sharpen with your ear..... a straight smooth consistant pressure throughout the stroke, with one hand you will not and do not have that consistant even pressure as your hand moves toward the chain.

BUT.... if your happy with the results that's good enough.The worst thing to do is to change what your familiar with especially if it produces the results you desire.

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

doug, i reckon you are a bit of a legend round your parts, you must have some amazing pics from your career. i would love to see some if you get the time:thumbup1:

Well thank you.... A legend for what is up for debate, and to return the compliment I have been following your posts, it seems we speak the same or at least similar lingo. As for photo's ye'p gotta few but but one must remember the old digi camera that is part of today's required gear ain't been around to long and most of my wild juicy stuff was back when carrying a camera was unheard of.

Over the coming months I will try and post a few as the situation arises, now had you asked for memories and stories, those I have, just give me a little time to get established on here. I would very much like to come back home and try the lecture circuit before my numbers up.

you use your ear to sharpen???!!!! now thats sumthin iv got to see!!!!!!!! :lol:

personaly i will use the stihl wooden handles cus i also use the correct file guide to go with it.

i will also use a husky plastic for the flat file as the file sits further into the handle than a wooden one and doesnt bend so easily.

im also very careful to identify the chain correctly and use the correct sized file. youd be suprised at how many people dont know!!

Edited by john dawson
bein blonde!!

No one is gonna want your crappy file handles:thumbdown:.........:lol:

now i am upset:confused1:

made some today specially for any requests

am off to throw em on fire now

and my bat and ball i made

you know how to knock a man:confused1:

i have a couple of the new oregon ones, that have the ears showing the angles, have a hole in the top that takes a spare spark plug and also have a built in spanner for getting the spark plug out (incase you lose your combi spanner?) they seem ok after a few weeks of use

on the flat file handles, the new stihl rubberised ones are ace!