Best grass head for Stihl FS 461?

Pinkfoot

Just now, Haironyourchest said:

Stihl Autocut 46-2 tap-n-go head. 

There is no argument here. Get a tap-n-go head. You won't have to stop to change the cord. You won't have to cut the cord. Your cord will always be exactly the right length, or nearly so.

That's the thing . They will always be the same lenght but too short IMHO .

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

Stihl Autocut 46-2 tap-n-go head. 

There is no argument here. Get a tap-n-go head. You won't have to stop to change the cord. You won't have to cut the cord. Your cord will always be exactly the right length, or nearly so.

I have the Autocut and have just ordered the oregon head and Stubbys diamond line .

I will give them a decent test

4 minutes ago, Pinkfoot said:

I have the Autocut and have just ordered the oregon head and Stubbys diamond line .

I will give them a decent test

Leave a decent tail so you can grab the end with some pliers and pull it strait out . ( as in my pictures ) I run them with no guard so can make them about 9 inches long this gives a wider sweep . You need 45cc or more to do this .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Stubby said:

That's the thing . They will always be the same lenght but too short IMHO .

I have a FS460, sees a lot of hours in the summer. Been strimming for years. It's the best strimmer/brush cutter. The auto head with 3mm or 3.5 mm perfectly suits this machine. In terms of efficiency, cost per hour, there is no better head.

There is a bit of finesse required though. You got to load this head with the right amount of cord, not too much, and it's got to be a cord of a certain hardness, or the stresses inside the head make the cord weld to itself. Also the alloy eyelets can get flung out and lost if you don't clip the head cover in properly, and them it gets spun off when you rev up. And the spring can fall out. Get spare springs and eyelets. Once you understand the quirks, it's dynamite.

1 minute ago, Haironyourchest said:

I have a FS460, sees a lot of hours in the summer. Been strimming for years. It's the best strimmer/brush cutter. The auto head with 3mm or 3.5 mm perfectly suits this machine. In terms of efficiency, cost per hour, there is no better head.

There is a bit of finesse required though. You got to load this head with the right amount of cord, not too much, and it's got to be a cord of a certain hardness, or the stresses inside the head make the cord weld to itself. Also the alloy eyelets can get flung out and lost if you don't clip the head cover in properly, and them it gets spun off when you rev up. And the spring can fall out. Get spare springs and eyelets. Once you understand the quirks, it's dynamite.

I have several iterations of the alloy heads as well. The jet head, the traditional, a mad one you unscrew to clamp the cord etc... They're good for really tough stuff like briar with the serrated cord.

3 minutes ago, Haironyourchest said:

I will give it a good try

10 hours ago, Haironyourchest said:

I have 45cc and 55cc Husqvarnas strimmers Been strimming for years .They are the best strimmer / brush cutters out there . The Oregon jet fit head perfectly suits the 55cc machine as it has bags of torque and can spin an 18-20" sweep of Deasert extrusion 4.00mm square cord at full chat . No welding of line , no eyelets popping out  , no winding on the " right " amount of line . Will clatter down pretty much anything . Its dynamite . 🙂  ( I did say at the beginning of this thread that opinion will be divided ) .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, woody paul said:

Don't know if you have tried Desert vortex line but that stuff is tuff use it in small strimmer to cut grass will knock brambles back as well. 

I have just got some of their diamond line ordered but willing to try others

I have 45cc and 55cc Husqvarnas strimmers Been strimming for years .They are the best strimmer / brush cutters out there . The Oregon jet fit head perfectly suits the 55cc machine as it has bags of torque and can spin an 18-20" sweep of Deasert extrusion 4.00mm square cord at full chat . No welding of line , no eyelets popping out  , no winding on the " right " amount of line . Will clatter down pretty much anything . Its dynamite . [emoji846]  ( I did say at the beginning of this thread that opinion will be divided ) .

I went back to a bump head on my Husky 343r last week, 1hr in and it was back off and thrown in the back of the workshop! The irritation of either the line snapping at the eyelet or welding/unwinding in the cassette….[emoji35]
I’ve even stuck a jet fit head on my new Makita battery machine, seems to cope well.
  • Like 1