Chains in bulk…

IronMike

So, pardon the likely daft question, but will I need to replace bars to accommodate the narrower gauge of 0.50? Or can you run a 0.50 chain on a 0.58 guide bar? I’m absolutely fed up of the deteriorating quality of Sugi Hara, I don’t rate the standard Husqvarna bars, and wasn’t overly impressed with the Tsumara either. I am however, very much in favour of the GB bars! 

Amd seen as we’re on the topic of bars and chains….. I’ve heard talk of the sprocket being changed to increase chain speed. Is this straightforward enough to do or does this start throwing things out?

7 minutes ago, IronMike said:

So, pardon the likely daft question, but will I need to replace bars to accommodate the narrower gauge of 0.50? Or can you run a 0.50 chain on a 0.58 guide bar? I’m absolutely fed up of the deteriorating quality of Sugi Hara, I don’t rate the standard Husqvarna bars, and wasn’t overly impressed with the Tsumara either. I am however, very much in favour of the GB bars! 

Amd seen as we’re on the topic of bars and chains….. I’ve heard talk of the sprocket being changed to increase chain speed. Is this straightforward enough to do or does this start throwing things out?

Husky bars are as durable as cheese. If you change to a 8 pin(tooth) sprocket you will need to add an extra link to the chain. Based on experience I have never noticed the difference in cutting.

Learning the subtle differences between makes when sharpening, will in the long term give you better cutting result. 

Bar needs to be .325 .050 so yes you need to change it too. Stihl have branded theirs the Light04, Oregon make Speedcut, Sugi and Husqvarna seem to call it quick cut.

Seems like RobD doesn't have GB in narrow gauge, you could try it out on Oregon bar just over £30 and then get a Cannon bar if you want a real nice one I guess.

Going for a bigger sprocket is straightforward to do, whether it makes you cut faster depends on saw size and bar length, it's like changing up a gear on a bike won't make you go faster uphill but if the going is easy and you are a max revs then it can make you faster.

I'd doubt that a 550xp on 18" would be any faster, but say on a 13" it probably would. I have a spud ported 372 which I run bigger sprocket and 18" bar (haven't found the need to add a link to chain). Chain speed is good so it cuts really well. If I put 24" bar on though I'd drop back to the normal sprocket to stop it labouring in the cut.

Hi MattyF

What x cut are you using?

3/8 as at the time I brought it I was running 560's on 3/8 so converted the 550's to run the same just for ease so they could all run the same 15" bar and chains .... I got rid of the 560's and replaced them with ms400's
But the mk2 550's seem alright on 3/8 tbh.
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, IronMike said:

As has been said you can change to an 8 pin for faster chain speed but , only on relatively short bars  . You will sacrifice some torque on a longer bar . I have experimented in the past and dependent on your power head , once you get above 18" I find its better to keep to the standard 7 pin . I have 8 pin on my ported 346 and 560 15" and 18" respectively but the next saw up is a ported 372 on a 24" and I find that cuts better on a 7 pin .  EDIT on a 15" AND AN 18" THERE IS NO NEED FOR AN EXTRA DRIVER . STANDARD LOOPS STILL FIT 

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 2

As has been said you can change to an 8 pin for faster chain speed but , only on relatively short bars  . You will sacrifice some torque on a longer bar . I have experimented in the past and dependent on your power head , once you get above 18" I find its better to keep to the standard 7 pin . I have 8 pin on my ported 346 and 560 15" and 18" respectively but the next saw up is a ported 372 on a 24" and I find that cuts better on a 7 pin .  EDIT on a 15" AND AN 18" THERE IS NO NEED FOR AN EXTRA DRIVER . STANDARD LOOPS STILL FIT 

I'd agree with that stubby , I had a guy tell me I should be running an 8pin on ms460's years back ... it took away every thing that made them good , ie torque in hardwoods so switched back pretty quickly.
Ported 560's on a 15" bar with an 8 pin is good fun though.
  • Like 4

9 hours ago, IronMike said:

I have been gradually changing my 346’s and 550’s over to 1.3mm/.050 bar and chain combo as the standard bars need replacing, 7 out of the 8 run narrow kerf now. 
I find them much faster/smoother in the cut, especially on bore cuts in hardwood.

I haven’t been that enamoured with either of the newer Oregon speed cut chains in .325 or 3/8. 
The X -cut chains have been excellent but always found Stihl chains to hold an edge better.

I run a mix of SP33 x-cut and Stihl Micro chisel on all my 50cc saws, X-Cut and Stihl RS on 70cc plus.

• Like 2

I’m absolutely fed up of the deteriorating quality of Sugi Hara, I don’t rate the standard Husqvarna bars, and wasn’t overly impressed with the Tsumara either. I am however, very much in favour of the GB bars! 

I expect a 0.58 gauge bar rail is abit  more durable v 0.50 & might also carry oil better  for a longer bar?