Tags on trees..

john87

Hi all,

Some of the trees i have to do with have small numbered tags nailed to them. Some are just a number, and others are a few letters and a number, something like; "BTC 123" that sort of thing..

What is that all about?? I know of some trees that DEFINITELY have a TPO on them, but no tag, and other trees that have no TPO but do have a tag.

What is the reason for these tags?? Is it to do with TPO's or something different??

john..

Usually this is the result of a survey. Many surveyors use physical, metal tags to identify individual trees being surveyed. Some of us choose instead to record accurate GPS locations to reference the position of individual stems.

• Like 1

Normally numbered tags on trees are there from tree surveys done in the past or present. However it might be something different if you are talking forestry or something, I only know them as regards numbers that correlate to a tree survey, put on there by an arb consultant. 

• Like 1

City trees it will be the local council . Id tags can mean species , TPO trees to retain , trees to fell ( not often the last one )  Forestry can be different . Its " old school " stuff .

Edited by Stubby
  • Like 1

I know the local rural estate done that with most of its large roadside trees.

It would be so the forester could show a visual record of trees being checked and defects recorded.

This would be in the days everything done on paper, and before all the modern day devices for gps'ing a tree.

Be a bit of a box ticking/insurance claim thing if that tree ever came down he would have a paper trail to show it had been checked

• Like 1

Thanks all!!!

Now, a few years ago a tree with one of these tags fell over. I googled the initials on the tag and it was indeed a tree survey firm..

I was informed that a few weeks ago that someone DID come to have a look at all the trees and the one tag looks brand new, it must have been them that fitted it so they must have been a tree surveyor type person..

What would a tree surveyor be looking for?? Some of the trees are pretty much fit to collapse, but would they not notice and record this??

john..

Thanks all!!!

Now, a few years ago a tree with one of these tags fell over. I googled the initials on the tag and it was indeed a tree survey firm..

I was informed that a few weeks ago that someone DID come to have a look at all the trees and the one tag looks brand new, it must have been them that fitted it so they must have been a tree surveyor type person..

What would a tree surveyor be looking for?? Some of the trees are pretty much fit to collapse, but would they not notice and record this??

john..

The surveyor will have done a report on any tagged trees and remedial work recommended in category of urgency if it was needed.
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, rcbprk said:

Usually this is the result of a survey. Many surveyors use physical, metal tags to identify individual trees being surveyed. Some of us choose instead to record accurate GPS locations to reference the position of individual stems.

The two in conjunction is the best solution in my experience. Having a good topo is all very well when you’re walking round with some form of handheld computer. When you’re trying to carry out those recommendations though having a handful of a4 printouts where you can’t actually read the tiny numbers is a total headache.
Topo + tags or it’s a job half done 👍🏻

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, daltontrees said:

The British Standard for planning surveys says you have to tag the trees.

Ahhh, now that is very interesting. I know that the site has had a few planning applications over the years and they just LOVE spending VAST sums on surveyors to make drawings that are then basically just dumped..

john..