Ecodesign stoves

3 minutes ago, openspaceman said:

As far as I can see the ecodesign regulations only specify a manufacturer placing something new on the market.

Whether one can get a tradesperson to fit a secondhand one and comply with building regulations is what we are discussing.

Seen this:

After the 1st January 2022 it will become illegal to manufacture or sell a stove that isn't Ecodesign Ready. However, stoves already installed or already in the supply chain (manufactured before 1st January 2022) are exempt from this.

This would imply that from the stove point of view, if working correctly, it should be ok. The issue would be whether the position was suitable (distance from consumables, solid hearth, heat shield, etc), if the flue was suitable, whether there was enough air intake, cold air flow (below/behind) the stove, heat/fire/carbon sensors in place etc

• Like 1

1 hour ago, John Skinner said:

Seen this:

After the 1st January 2022 it will become illegal to manufacture or sell a stove that isn't Ecodesign Ready. However, stoves already installed or already in the supply chain (manufactured before 1st January 2022) are exempt from this.

This would imply that from the stove point of view, if working correctly, it should be ok. The issue would be whether the position was suitable (distance from consumables, solid hearth, heat shield, etc), if the flue was suitable, whether there was enough air intake, cold air flow (below/behind) the stove, heat/fire/carbon sensors in place etc

Reading the first paragraph how can ClearView continue sell all their stoves without meeting the new regs, which they are doing.

Any installers here who could comment if they can install a CV stove to hetas regs?

NoPedigree.

Plus this on the Hetas website:

This article is a reproduction from HETAS Technical Bulletin #22. Click here to access the Bulletin in the Technical Area of the HETAS website (password

There is a lot of negative posts here about pre-ecodesign stoves.  Maybe they are stove installers, trying to sell new 'safe' stoves, just maybe??.  The idea that thousands of stoves instantly became dangerous on the 1st of January 2022 as a result of a new regulation is frankly ridiculous.

Talk to your installer and home insurance, if they aren't happy with the installation that will be the clincher. 

Someone also mentioned a warranty, personally I think the likelihood that I would ever claim is pretty low.  The way I see it a stove is a metal box with a bunch of easy-to-replace wear parts (glass, rope, bricks).  Even then the manufacturer could always claim I had burned the wrong wood or too hot.  Some of my wood is certified but some is DIY, so hard to prove this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Muddy42 said:

There is a lot of negative posts here about pre-ecodesign stoves.  Maybe they are stove installers, trying to sell new 'safe' stoves, just maybe??.  The idea that thousands of stoves instantly became dangerous on the 1st of January 2022 as a result of a new regulation is frankly ridiculous.

Nobody is saying that at all. The discussion is more along the lines of if old used non-ecodesign Stove can/will be be installed and signed off by a qualified technician. 

I'll be installing an older Stove in my house but then Im in Scotland and not subject to the same red tape.

Talk to your installer and home insurance, if they aren't happy with the installation that will be the clincher. 

Exactly, Ive been saying this for a few pages now. Op seems very cagey regarding this though. 

Someone also mentioned a warranty, personally I think the likelihood that I would ever claim is pretty low.  The way I see it a stove is a metal box with a bunch of easy-to-replace wear parts (glass, rope, bricks).  Even then the manufacturer could always claim I had burned the wrong wood or too hot.  Some of my wood is certified but some is DIY, so hard to prove this.

I think that could have been me? I installed a brand new Ecoburn 11 plus myself and was not worried about the warranty because as you say the likelihood of a claim is very low and I was willing to take the hit if it cracks. Of course if its a Boiler Stove you have a far higher chance of something going wrong and having one of them professionally installed makes far more financial and safety sense. 

2 minutes ago, trigger_andy said:

Sorry, I was referring to the lass thats bought the old stove and has the interesting install plans. 

Oh, them.

Yes…. I’m not totally convinced that they aren’t playing for effect!

16 hours ago, slim reaper said:

You do  know that where the flue goes through the ceilings you need to box inside the joists to protect from fire ,fit fire stops and a means of supporting the weight as you cant use the stove for support .

Thank you. Its a bit hard to explain the space in the centre of the house..its where an old air system was. I have a few bits and pieces including 2 plates but don't actually have anything to go through coming up from downstairs and just a piece of plaster board to the loft (that bit of pipe they left me is just sticking in there and only a foot long..just looking through it)which I was thinking of building a frame to put 1 here  I have added a couple more pics so you can see plenty of space around the flue etc. I will use brackets every meter :)

20220711_160320.jpg

20220711_160444.jpg

20220711_160511.jpg

• Confused 1

2 hours ago, trigger_andy said:

Nobody is saying that at all. The discussion is more along the lines of if old used non-ecodesign Stove can/will be be installed and signed off by a qualified technician. 

I'll be installing an older Stove in my house but then Im in Scotland and not subject to the same red tape.

Exactly, Ive been saying this for a few pages now. Op seems very cagey regarding this though. 

I think that could have been me? I installed a brand new Ecoburn 11 plus myself and was not worried about the warranty because as you say the likelihood of a claim is very low and I was willing to take the hit if it cracks. Of course if its a Boiler Stove you have a far higher chance of something going wrong and having one of them professionally installed makes far more financial and safety sense. 

Sorry for any confusion, Glad we agree.  I guess I am referring to pages 3 and 4 and then the "knackered old stove comments."

I was fine with the Defra rules (because they didn't apply to me in the sticks) but these new rules are a bit too intrusive for me. They only stand to benefit stove manufacturers and installers.  What will be next, certifying open fires, bonfires, birthday candles?